_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
scratch build blue prints
skridt
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 2012 - 10:15 PM UTC
Where could I find blueprints/plans for tanks like the chaffee? I would like to try out a scratch build
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,597 Posts
KitMaker Network: 673 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 2012 - 11:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Where could I find blueprints/plans for tanks like the chaffee? I would like to try out a scratch build

Johan

This site is a good one for drawings. You can access the images free and if you are clever can work from these. There is also an option to buy the vector drawing versions of the image, which I presume will give you dimensions, but as I have not tried this yet, I am only assuming.

Bluprints.com

Registration is free and you make your choice as to how you use it !!!!!! Loads of freely accessible drawings of all manner of subjects to choose from !!!!!

Have you thought of buying a cheap kit in 1/35 scale and using it as a guide for pulling measurements off and upscaling to the size you want !!!!!! I am assuming you are going BIG SCALE 1/24 ,,,,,,,,,, 1/18 ,,,,,,,,,,,,, 1/6 or the like cause I would think the Chaffee is covered in all the usual scales !!!!!!!!

Good luck and all the best for 2013

Nige
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2013 - 11:12 AM UTC
The problem with that site is that the quality varies greatly and many/most of the drawings don't have scales, so it'a almost impossible to verify that the drawing is what size you think it is. There is also little or no provenance for the drawings and lastly, the resolution is generally rubbish, even at the larger resolutions.

For American AFVs the Hunnicutt series of books are well stocked with accurate drawings. You can also get official Ordnance department drawings from the MVPA. I think they ahve them availaebl for the Chaffee.

Paul
semijoe
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 227 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2013 - 11:54 AM UTC
on highly detailed builds, i usually buy the model and up scale it, also there is a guy on ebay that sell manuals for each and it has loads of pictures
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 02:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

on highly detailed builds, i usually buy the model and up scale it, also there is a guy on ebay that sell manuals for each and it has loads of pictures

Just be sure you are buying an accurate model. Some kits, new or not, are actually quite inaccurate in areas. You don't want to be duplicating inaccuracies.
 _GOTOTOP