_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
spray booth thats cheap
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,462 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 09:41 AM UTC
iam looking for a cheao spray booth to paint in my basement my mom is busting my shoes.
about the paint smells.
so where can i get a good spray booth with a blower thats cheap.
or just a booth with out a blower motor cause i have a few in my gargare
Grifter
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 608 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 11:32 AM UTC
You don't.
I made one from thin plywood (1/8" i think) framed along the inside edges with 1 x 1's. I got a little flourescent tube light to go inside from the hardware store. It was relatively cheap and easy to make. I don't have an exhaust fan, but it would probably hold a smallish one if I wanted to add it....or I could add a support frame on the back of the booth.
Another solution is to use acrylics (that's what I do) since they don't have such a terrible smell.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 11:42 AM UTC
Hey tazz....well it all depends on whether you want a ready made one (read expensive) or if you want to build one yourself. (read cheaper)

I personally have been using a very large cardboard box for years....albiet with no ventilation out of the box...not the best situation...but was really cheap....we had a fireplace insert installed and the box off of it was about 3ft cubed...with about 1/2inch thick cardboard walls.

My new one is designed around a range hood....when we remodeled the kitchen here...we changed the range hood...and I didn't realize that the old one was still here.....basically get yourself some MDF boards at your local Home Depot or other favorite hardware store, preferrably white as any lights you use in your paint booth will just seem that much brighter. Bascially measure your range hood, build your back and side walls out of the MDF board to the height you want, posibbly even a floor for it if you wanted....attach the range hood...and viola...instant paint booth. Some other things you can do is to buy a small furnace filter and tape it to the inside of the range hood...so when its on...the filter will actually catch most of the paint fumes.....rather then sending them out into the house or garage.

Hope this helps!!
firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 790 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 05:07 PM UTC
Tazz
I know you asked for cheap,
I hope this helps, but am unsure what your boundaries are...

http://home.earthlink.net/~mmwilson3/Building_a_Spray_Booth.htm
http://www.interlog.com/~ask/scale/tips/booth.htm

Also
http://www.fans-ez.com/fans/fans_list.html?display=listing&az=72947294&pn=27521806&search_type=product&search_string=Fans&seq=1&uuid=THezsrch&ezlocation=www.fans-ez.com/fans/0000012_0038603_1.html

For the fans, they have to be sparkless due to the vaporized paint fumes, and the thinner fumes...
HTH
 _GOTOTOP