_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Health and Safety
Have a question about what is safe or an experience that might warn others?
Oil Paint Safety
Dhepee
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 50 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 06:35 AM UTC
Are there any safety concerns associated with oil paint? I know that turp's vapors are bad, but how about linseed oil.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 07:10 AM UTC
The paints themselves are pretty low key. As mom would always say - "don't eat'em"
The quantities you use are really small, I've never had a problem with them.
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 07:15 AM UTC
Lineseed oil is far better than turps as it comes to safety.... you can put it on your hands, your face and even drink it.....

This is serious...real lineseed oils are excellent for your hands and when you can't go to the john's for some days ..... well a teaspoon a day, makes you want to stay

Besides the non health risks, lineseed oil is excellent for thinning paint.... it makes the paint run very smoothm with hardly any brushstroke.... and another tip.... it can be used with enamels too....this slows down the drying time quite a bit....and that can come in handy.
KiwiDave
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 248 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 11:04 AM UTC
A warning - linseed oil left on rags or wood shavings (for instance in a rubbish bin) can spontaneously combust.

Linseed oil is also reputed to be good for excema and other skin disorders but I have no first hand experience. Apart from which many oil painting artists seem to have lived for a long time!

The fumes from turps and the other volatiles in enamels are probablty no more dangerous than the fumes from acrylics in the volumes we mostly use them.

Spray painting is a higher risk as it is not the volatiles that you inhale but actual paint droplets.

Basically if you use the low volumes of chemicals - adhesives, fillers, paints - in a well ventilated area the volatiles are going to disperse quite rapidly. I would guess that most modellers are more at risk from styrene cement fumes than paint fumes.

Regards Dave
 _GOTOTOP