_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
3D Printing
Teaker11
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 962 Posts
KitMaker Network: 154 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2012 - 04:14 AM UTC
I have been getting more and more emails for 3d printers, has any one tried to use one for makeing model parts? and if you are useing one, what do you think of the quility of the part
Jim
chazbo38
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 8 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 07:42 PM UTC
Theres a video on You Tube for these things. Amazing
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 06, 2013 - 08:17 AM UTC
Hi Jim,

3D printing has really taken the modelling world by storm! The parts come out as good as most resin stuff, although anything curved will have tiny "steps" in it because of the way these things lay down layers, so will require a bit of light sanding to smooth them out.

The two big issues are that:
1) you need a CAD solid-model of your part, and as somebody who does CAD modelling I can tell you it isn't a skill you pick up overnight!

2) The firms I've seen seem to charge based on volume of materials rather than on complexity or number of parts. (This is kinda like paying for the paper and ink for normal printing.) It makes sense, but means bigger parts are more expensive than smaller ones, even if the big ones are simple shapes while the small ones are fiddly and detailed! And that's after you've paid somebody to do the CAD work for you!

As far as I know, the best stuff comes from hideously expensive machines that are beyond the home-hobbyist's budget, so you'll need to surf the net for companies like Shapeways or Click2detail.

Tom
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 3,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 209 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 - 08:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

As far as I know, the best stuff comes from hideously expensive machines that are beyond the home-hobbyist's budget, so you'll need to surf the net for companies like Shapeways or Click2detail.

Actually they've started to sell 3d printers that cost more or less than a photo camera

That's a printer called "3d drag". It costs 720 Euros + VAT

Regarding the CAD modelling , yes it isn't easy to acquire the skill, but there are nowadays some softwares such Sketch up which is are quite "user friendly" and free.

barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 - 11:46 PM UTC
Hi Mauro,

Interesting machine you showed! Have you tried one yet? I'm curious about the quality of the printed parts...

Tom
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 3,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 209 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 - 01:01 AM UTC
Hi Tom. I haven't done it yet, but if you're looking for more inforamtion about you can look here

http://www.corriere.it/tecnologia/provati-per-voi/12_dicembre_14/stampanti-3d-modelli-da-casa_e17b61aa-45f9-11e2-9abc-e1073f0961e6.shtml

Unfortunately the article is written in Italian, but you can find an interesting video there.

That's the official site of the comapny which makes and sales the printer

http://3dprint.elettronicain.it/

Anyway, according to the article, the printer can make objet in ABS and PLA. The maximum printing size is 20cm X 20cm X 20cm

If you need references about PLA look here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polylactic_acid

PLA is easy to paint, the only drawback is that your objects are a bit "floppy"

I hope this can help you
Teaker11
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 - 02:15 AM UTC
I understand that real fireing guns have been made on thease machines, but they do not last long.
Jim
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 - 11:35 AM UTC
That's news to me, but I know that the really high-end stuff used by engineering firms will "print" metals so it might be possible. However, it'd be a whole lot cheaper just to buy a real gun!

Tom
Teaker11
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 - 12:33 PM UTC
I really would not like to pull the trigger on a plastic gun, but its still a claim out there, I would think the barrel would need to be metal, but the report I read was it failed after a few shots, but how long will it be till you have your own little mini factory. I have no power bill any more, infact I get negitive bills, 10 years ago I would have not belevied it. Things are changeing fast.
Jim
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 04:05 AM UTC
3D printers could be the origins of the Star Trek "replicator"! After all, they successfully predicted mobile phones and tablet computers back in Bill Shatner's day. I'm still waiting for a working transporter...

Tom
Mossie
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 9 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 09:54 AM UTC
Has anyone had any experience with the output from 3D printing, in PLA or ABS filaments?

For example:
What works best for a finished model?
Which are better for gluing?
Which provide a better paint finish?

What I'm looking at is considering a new service to produce limited custom 3D printed objects for builders. The resolution would be 100 microns, but may be better with experimentation.

This is not to undercut any current provider, but to provide a one off service, that part you need that is just too hard to scratch build or replica a number of items the same.

There are some number crunching to be done, on costs and prices, but I should be able to go under commercial printing costs, but I'm not be able to match 16 microns that some services provide.
TimReynaga
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,500 Posts
KitMaker Network: 19 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 02:09 PM UTC
I needed a ship’s bell for my Revell Olympia. I found a suitable pre-designed model railroading item at Shapeways (http://www.shapeways.com), so I didn’t have to worry about making CAD design.

The bells came attached to a frame matrix similar to the sprues on injection molded plastic parts. The material ("frosted ultra detail UV cured acrylic polymer") is similar to the polyurethane resin commonly used in model shipbuilding; solid but also easy to work. The shapes are flawless, and the little step artifacts of the layering process are so small as to be virtually invisible. They do, however, make a useful key for paint.

Fitted to a .015 inch plastic strip mount attached to a couple of the cowl vents, the 3D printed bell looks right at home among all those Old School injection molded plastic parts.
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 01:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Has anyone had any experience with the output from 3D printing, in PLA or ABS filaments?

Hi Mossie,

If it was me I'd find somebody who already has one, and order some test samples just to check before buying. Not sure what ABS or PLA will be like when printed.

Regards,
Tom
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 08:05 AM UTC
As far as free CAD programs go, I would recommend Emachineshop. I have used Google Sketch Up, auto-cad and mechanics cad before. And, found the Emachineshop to be the best, introductory program.
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 176 Posts
KitMaker Network: 29 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 - 04:26 AM UTC
I used shapeways and they are superb in surface quality and price. You even get the choice of material and method of printing.
Nick_Karatzides
entire network: 185 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 06:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

has any one tried to use one for makeing model parts? and if you are useing one, what do you think of the quility of the part

Jim, obviously, you missed my previously uploaded projects, totaly scratchbuilt as designed from zero & printed on a home 3D printer. Feel free to click on following links to have a closer look. I'm sure you'll find many answers on your questions:

The following pictures, might give you an idea of the building process and the final result. For more, clcik on the previously mentioned links. Enjoy!

Regards,
Nick

Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,485 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 10:54 AM UTC
Hi Nick,

Thank you for posting those wonderful pics of the 3D printed
parts. Will be appreciated by many of us.

Of note: Jim Davis (Teaker11) passed away in July 2013.

Joe
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 06:26 AM UTC
DIY 3D Printer: "Start by logging shape dimensions 'a' into CAD. Set up to print on your 3D printer..." REALLY!? I have run into more than one of these DIY 3D printer instructions that only require you have use of a 3D printer to begin with.
 _GOTOTOP