TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Dambusters update
chris1
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 949 Posts
KitMaker Network: 129 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2012 - 08:28 PM UTC
Hi All
Just read in one of our online newspapers the following...

Jackson also talked about his upcoming production Dam Busters

There had been a plan for him to shoot the WW2 tale while Guillermo del Toro shot The Hobbit but Dam Busters was put on hold after del Toro quit The Hobbit.

"It’s ready to go as soon as we possibly can," Jackson said.

Ten Lancaster bomber planes were already built and in storage for the movie, he said

Can't wait

Chris
ljames0874
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 408 Posts
KitMaker Network: 39 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 - 01:44 AM UTC
Looking forward to this enormously, though I bet they won't call Guy Gibson's dog "N**ger"!
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 642 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2012 - 11:33 PM UTC
They probably won't, but wasn't one of the code words for a successful breach also 'N****r'. I have been pondering how they will get around it, I suppose it would be possible to get away with 'Nig' as my wife's uncle had a dog with the same name and always shortened it to this. At the end of the day they could leave the dog out of it as it isn't that integral to the story. I hope he does a good job as the old 1955 film with Richard Todd is a classic, with real 'Lancs' and a totally convincing period feel, probably because most of the actors served in WWII. Awaiting the result with interest.
epshifty
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 376 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 10:28 PM UTC
i hear they are going to use the word trigger
mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
entire network: 1,280 Posts
KitMaker Network: 213 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 23, 2012 - 12:28 AM UTC
After the massacer Jackson did on "The Hobbit" I assume:

+ No dog nor the bad, bad word!
+ A multi-gender/multi-ethnic crew
+ No attacks but the group lands and the thing is solved in a football match with the germans

1721Lancers
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,673 Posts
KitMaker Network: 20 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 23, 2012 - 09:28 PM UTC
Hi all,
I remember reading about 4-5 years ago in MIS magazin, that
the word Ni**** was the cause for the movie being put off.
They sure as hell should use the word because itīs "historically correct". Iīm getting a bit annoyed with all this "PC" crap. Those that donīt wish to here it shouldnīt watch the movie.

Merry X-Mas
Paul
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,510 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2012 - 06:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

After the massacer Jackson did on "The Hobbit" I assume:

+ No dog nor the bad, bad word!
+ A multi-gender/multi-ethnic crew
+ No attacks but the group lands and the thing is solved in a football match with the germans

Are they also going to leave the 'friendly' football match by creating an escape route in a bath?

Sounds like a good movie, unless your predictions are true!
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 198 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2013 - 01:58 AM UTC
FYI, from Wikipedia, (so must be true) various "factoids". Can't believe the dog name was ever a cause for the film to be delayed... that's surely a myth.

Work on a remake of The Dam Busters, produced by Peter Jackson and directed by first time director Christian Rivers, began in 2008. Jackson said in the mid-1990s that he became interested in remaking the 1954 film, but found that the rights had been bought by Mel Gibson. In 2004, Jackson was contacted by his agent, who said Gibson had dropped the rights. The rights were purchased by David Frost, from the Brickhill family in 2005.[6] Stephen Fry is writing the script of the film.[7] It will be distributed by Universal Pictures and StudioCanal.[8] Filming was planned to commence in early 2009, on a budget of USD 40 million,[9] although no project-specific filming had begun as of May 2009.[10]

Weta Workshop is making the models and special effects for the film and has made 10 life size Lancaster bombers.[11]

The last living pilot of the strike team, Les Munro, joined the production crew in Masterton as technical adviser. Jackson will also use newly declassified War Office documents to ensure the authenticity of the film.[12]

In 1999, British television network ITV broadcast a censored version of the film, removing all utterances of "the word" [that was me...by the way] (the real name of the unit's mascot, a black labrador). ITV blamed regional broadcaster London Weekend Television, which in turn alleged that a junior staff member had been responsible for the unauthorised cuts. When ITV again showed a censored version in June 2001, it was condemned by Index on Censorship as "unnecessary and ridiculous" and because the edits introduced continuity errors.[16]

The British Channel 4 screened the censored American version in July 2007, in which the dialogue was dubbed so as to call the dog Trigger, this screening taking place just after the planned remake was announced. For the remake, Peter Jackson has said no decision has been made on the dog's name, but is in a "no-win, damned-if-you-do-and-damned-if-you-don't scenario", as changing the name could be seen as too much political correctness, while not changing the name could offend people.[17] Further, executive producer Sir David Frost was quoted in The Independent as stating: "Guy sometimes used to call his dog Nigsy, so I think that's what we will call it. Stephen has been coming up with other names, but this is the one I want."[18] In June 2011, Stephen Fry mentioned in an interview that the dog would be called Digger in the remake to avoid offending modern audiences.[19] In September 2007, as part of the BBC Summer of British Film series, The Dam Busters was shown at selected cinemas across the UK in its uncut format. The original, uncensored, version was also shown on January 1st, 2013, by the British broadcaster, Channel Five. It was the version, distributed by Studio Canal, containing shots of the plane flying into a hill.