_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Help: What do you use for tie down rope's?
JMacKenzie
Visit this Community
entire network: 23 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2003 - 06:13 AM UTC
On 1/35 armor models?

I am in the middle stages of painting my Timaya M4 Sherman and I would like to add some ropes to tie down things such as jerry cans, storage boxes, spare wheels etc. What do all of you use for such a thing?

Also, any tips on getiing wood such as that found on axe handles and storage boxes to look more realistic? Would you paint the overall piece a dark brown and then dry brush a lighter shade over it.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2003 - 06:18 AM UTC
Heavy sewing thread is the least expensive. You could also check thread available from ship modeling sites/stores.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2003 - 06:19 AM UTC
For ropes, look in a model store for the components for model ships, they usually do coils of thread (in various thicknesses)..These are perfect...Jim
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2003 - 06:21 AM UTC
I use sewing thread - some are more tightly woven than others, so pick and choose. I usually put a drop of white glue on my finger tip and pinch the thread and pull the thread through my fingers to coat the length of thread so that it does not split and fray.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2003 - 06:30 AM UTC
Heavy thread here, too. I usally pull the thread taut, knot it and then hit the knot with a tiny drop of CA to set it. I use white glue on the ends, like Scott.

Shaun
IanSadler
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 324 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2003 - 07:02 AM UTC
hi if you use the tread from ship modelers , pass it through a candle flame to take the hairy bits off , i seal the ends with super glue then cut it , this leavesa nice clean edge and does not fray , use the lightest colour you can buy , then stain with cold tea or coffie , no need to paint it cheers ian
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2003 - 07:53 AM UTC
If you've got the nerve......walk into the nearest dressmakers shop...most reasonably sized towns have one, and browse the threads.....There is on called button hole thread which has a fantastic rope effect perfect for 1/35th, and no stray 'hairs' that need 'greasing' down.

Vinnie
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,314 Posts
KitMaker Network: 185 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2003 - 08:27 AM UTC
I picked up a tightly woven, (no frizzies), fabric thread that is an olive drab color.

The spool was set out in the weather for a couple of weeks, rain, shine ---didn't matter, and it faded wonderfully.

It can be used as is, or if desired, a thinned black wash can be applied to grime it up. The wash also shrinks the thread, so if the initial tie down is too slack, a couple of washes tightens it up.

Good luck.

Steve
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2003 - 08:48 AM UTC
I just go to my Fly Tying box and get some thread out of it. It has the great advantage to be "stable" (I mean that once in place it remains exactly the same without loosening)...
Ciao
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 09:02 AM UTC
If you have access to any medical supplies, braided nylon or silk sutures are ideal. They are very strong, and the beauty of them is that it is very easy to pass the needle underneath whaterver you are tyiing to.

Patrick
 _GOTOTOP