_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Filling In
Mcleod
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,028 Posts
KitMaker Network: 41 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 05:36 AM UTC
Good Morning.
I'm faced with a resin model project which displays excessive, canyon style scribing. Knowing the panel lines must be filled entirely, I'm just wondering how to approach it. In my arsenal, I have Milliput, Tamiya filler, Mr Surfacer 500, and hardware store spackle. Suppose I could melt down plastic sprue to liquid form as well.

Can anyone help with advice on filling an entire model?

Thanks in advance. Ben
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 6,965 Posts
KitMaker Network: 609 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 05:53 AM UTC
I filled in the excessively engraved surfaces of a Smer Walrus by using Testors liquid cement to thin filler putty until it was the consistency of Mr Surfacer, then blobbed it all over. Once it was dry, I just lightly sanded down the entire surface. Of course now that I have Mr. Surfacer I tend to use it instead.

Another technique is to glue in lengths of stretched sprue and then sand them back flush with the surface.
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 6,743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 456 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 06:53 AM UTC
The joys of resin ......

There are many options on how you can go about this . You can super glue stretched sprue into the panel lines , sand flush with the surface and resribe the panel lines or you can fill the panel lines with a thick super glue , sand smooth and resrcibe the panel lines avioding the use of putty . Jessica's method works well , but model glue will not stick to the resin even if mixed with putty and will flake off when trying to resrcibe the panel lines .

Terri
Mcleod
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,028 Posts
KitMaker Network: 41 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 01:42 PM UTC
Thankyou for the replies, ladies. I think I'll go with super glue, sandpaper, and elbow-grease.. I'm contemplating to leave the wings as is.
 _GOTOTOP