_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
KV-2 Project
Lucifer92
Visit this Community
Norway
entire network: 3 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2012 - 07:46 AM UTC
So I'm about to start building a steel KV-2 from scratch for a school project. But I need such things that cant be made from scratch, such as tracks, optics and so on. Where do I get that in the correct sizes?

I'm thinking about making the tank 1/10 or close to that.

If you want, I could start a project thread when I've begun the building?
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 - 12:49 PM UTC
One track link ought to be easy in that scale due to the size. I'd use Evergreen styrene. Then you can cast up resin copies. If it has to be metal, look into to building a backyard aluminum foundry. I've been doing some research on this myself, and it looks interesting. Are you going to be doing any lather work?
If you go 1/9 scale you night find a few weapons already made . I know there''s a lot more in 1/6, but I'm not sure how many WWII items are available since it's not my thing. It might be worth looking into before you settle on a scale.
Good luck with it.
Lucifer92
Visit this Community
Norway
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2012 - 10:38 AM UTC
Well, I'm gonna be doing all this at school because we have a welding workshop, and I have access to normal steel, rust free steel and aluminium in thicknesses between 1mm and 6mm.

I have access to all materials for free. Though bearings and things I can't make from scratch, I will have to buy myself.

I also saw that there's many things in the 1/16 scale, so I think I'm gonna have to stick with that.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2012 - 10:44 AM UTC
I just discovered that my local Ace Hardware store sells bearings of all sizes. (this just months after turning my own on lathe) I'm sure Norway has similar stores. No sense in reinventing the wheel.
Lucifer92
Visit this Community
Norway
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 - 12:08 AM UTC
Well of course we do. We arent as uncivilized any more ; ) I'm also able to do lathe work if needed.
 _GOTOTOP