_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
How best to assemble and paint these tracks??
nheather
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 295 Posts
KitMaker Network: 90 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 - 10:19 PM UTC
I've come back to the hobby after about 30 years. When I last built (as a teenager) tracks were rubber and had to be melted to join - you could paint them off the tank and then with care stretch them over the wheels.

I have built up quite a stash and these all have different tracks than I used in my past - either rubber ones that you can glue, a mixture of long runs and links, or just individual links.

I'm starting with a cheap(ish), easy(ish) model - a Trumpeter KV-1 Ehkranami. This has 'link and run' tracks - two full length runs upper and lower, and individual links to go round the drive and idler wheels.

Would it be best to completely assemble and then paint afterwards. Or is it possible to assemble the tracks but not glue the final link, paint off the tank and then fit and make the final glue joint - is there enough flex?

My other thought is to make two sections - top run with the links round the idler, and bottom run with the links round the drive. Then I would have two glue joints to complete.

Appreciate any advice.

Many thanks,

Nigel
Hangelafette
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 344 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2012 - 01:47 PM UTC
Nigel,

I'm working on the Trumpeter KV-II and followed the two section top/bottom run strategy. Since I had already added the fenders, I did not glue the idler wheels together yet. This makes it easier to add the top run. The space between the drive sprocket and fender is pretty tight.

I always paint the tracks separately. I am also working on a Dragon StuG with individual (magic) tracks. In that case, I plan to paint the wheels, tracks and bottom hull before I add the fenders.

Nate
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 03:59 PM UTC
its a bit of work, but this is what i do for my tracks. i measure the roadwheels width and heigth. i trace this on a furring strip, cut it to size and use a small stapler to attach the tracks to the wood. then i'm free to paint the tracks, age them, etc. also i label the type tracks that were painted/tank name for future use. just a thot to pass along.

reb

Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 3,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 209 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 09:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nigel,

I'm working on the Trumpeter KV-II and followed the two section top/bottom run strategy. Since I had already added the fenders, I did not glue the idler wheels together yet. This makes it easier to add the top run. The space between the drive sprocket and fender is pretty tight.

I always paint the tracks separately. I am also working on a Dragon StuG with individual (magic) tracks. In that case, I plan to paint the wheels, tracks and bottom hull before I add the fenders.

Nate

Yes, that's the way
 _GOTOTOP