_GOTOBOTTOM
User Support
Having a problem with the site? Post it here.
Malware
SaxonTheShiba
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,233 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2012 - 09:01 AM UTC
Just FYI, when I looked up Armorama on Google today, Google has Armorama listed as a harmful site because of some malware that went on recently. I myself have not issues with the site today but just wanted you folks to be aware. Looks like Google has the suspicious post listed in their warning page.

Regards, Ian
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 3,684 Posts
KitMaker Network: 411 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2012 - 09:45 AM UTC
Posted by the site owner on Armorama:

Google and others are really making mountains out of molehills here. There was a problem on our AD SITE (not armorama.com or any of our other main sites). Someone had either hacked and or figured out how to SQL inject some malicious data and files on to that server. Two ads were updated to try to display a 'banner.js' (javascript) file. There were two .php files that supported this attack. It looked like a packet-type Denial of Service attack to me and not even against us but other servers. So not malware really but viruses against other web servers and NOT your personal computers. I thought it was odd when I went to our page which normally would have triggered a warning from AVG about a malicious file upload attempt, etc. I only got a warning from AVG when I went to try to look at the PHP files so perhaps the banner.js file never even was able to work the way it was designed. Anyways... long story short, the site should be clean now and I have fixed the data, secured the directory for the banners, and generally cleaned up the file upload process to make sure non-image files are not able to be uploaded. I couldn't believe the developers who made the ad software had not already done this. Sigh....

10-15 hours and Google should have it cleared up. Not sure about all the new 'notified' browsers and apps (like Norton) that are playing havoc as well. I am really not sure this idea of blocking sites BEFORE they attempt to deliver malware is the way to go. I know of several sites like ours that have gone through this recently and while there was an issue with our sites this time, and I am glad to know about it, no one on this site appears to ever have been at risk.

Thanks,
Jim
SaxonTheShiba
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,233 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2012 - 10:12 AM UTC
Thanks for the response Jim. I had not experienced issues myself and figured there was just a spammer floating around or something. I just had never gotten that kind of message before. Tried it on Yahoo and everything was fine. Anyway, no worries and have a good one.

Ian
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 3,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 209 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2012 - 10:18 AM UTC
Many thanks for your explanation and for your job done to clean the site
ThomasB
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
entire network: 762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 218 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2012 - 11:16 AM UTC
Thanks for the info. Was just about to do a post why Firefox all of the sudden started warning me and blocking Armorama.
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,116 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,015 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2012 - 05:03 AM UTC
FYI, No issues today, but Friday and Saturday my google had Armorama blocked because of a malwear. Working Great Today , thanks for clearing this up.

milvehfan
 _GOTOTOP