_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Time spent on a model?
Little_Yoshi
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 18 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 - 10:07 PM UTC
I've been eyeing up a lot of the exceptional work on this site and was wondering how much time you spend on completing a sinlge 1/35 or 1/32 model, to include painting?

I know it's different for each person... Just curious.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 - 10:56 PM UTC
Oh, you mean THAT kind of model...

While I've slapped together simple kits in a matter of days, my "average" build probably logs around 20-30 hours spread over several months. Some kits take way more than that, depending on how much I want to super-detail or scratch-build.

My "personal best" took 20 years to complete, but mainly because it spent 19 of them languishing half-built in a box in the closet!

Tom
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 - 11:03 PM UTC
I work slowly,4-5 weeks
Little_Yoshi
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 - 11:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh, you mean THAT kind of model...

While I've slapped together simple kits in a matter of days, my "average" build probably logs around 20-30 hours spread over several months. Some kits take way more than that, depending on how much I want to super-detail or scratch-build.

My "personal best" took 20 years to complete, but mainly because it spent 19 of them languishing half-built in a box in the closet!

Tom

Unfortunately, yes, THAT kind of model. Is the "detail" where most of your time spent?
Little_Yoshi
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 - 11:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I work slowly,4-5 weeks

Is it a time constraint or do you just yor preferred pace? Does your pace dictate the quality of your builds?

Also, I noticed that your avitar looks very familiar to my old stomping grounds... That wouldn't be at Aberdeen Proving Grounds would it?
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2012 - 12:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I work slowly,4-5 weeks

Everything is relative. In many peoples books, this would be considered very fast. It usually takes me this amount of time just to build the model.
As Ken asks, "does the pace dictate the quality?" This is probably the more important question in my eyes. Whats the goal ... if you build for competition or if you build for just your own enjoyment and pleasure. For many this can be the same thing, others it can make a big difference.
Theres no right or wrong here.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2012 - 01:18 AM UTC
I've spent a year working on a Panzer IV in 1:35. It really depends on how much detail you want to add. I used to produced a finished kit every two weeks, but this was in my infancy. The more I learn, the longer it takes me to complete a kit.
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2012 - 02:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is the "detail" where most of your time spent?

I reckon it's about a 50/50 split between build time and painting. I tend to "re-engineer" the instructions so I can build up logical assemblies for painting, and the deviation adds think-time to the build. (No point adding the wheels & tracks early on like the instructions usually say, if they only get in the way later for painting!)

If I add aftermarket detail or do some kitbashing that eats up a lot of time because it isn't a simple "trim & glue it" process. But the details that come with the kit are simple enough to assemble.

Can I ask if this was just musing on a Saturday, or if you are looking for meaningful data? (Don't mind either way, but if you are angling toward a particular point it might help us focus our answers!) I know some folk do build kits for clients, or to sell on ebay, but unless they are very disciplined and only build OOTB I can't see how they ever make enough to pay for the time. Me, I just build for fun, so if it takes forever it's no big deal...

Tom
Little_Yoshi
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2012 - 04:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Can I ask if this was just musing on a Saturday, or if you are looking for meaningful data?

Tom

I am starting again after 25+ years. Just curious as to how long it takes the advanced modelers to create a model and if my current plan of going about it in a slow-fashion was the predominant methodology.
AFVFan
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,980 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2012 - 04:34 AM UTC
As others have already mentioned, the amount of detail really makes a difference. You can easily double the time spent on building a kit if you want to add a full PE kit to it.

Another thing that make a major difference is the quality of the kit you start with. Some kits basically fall together, while others have major issues with parts fit and cleanup.

The 3rd differential is the type of finish you want. Doing a single color "factory fresh" paint scheme can be done many times faster than doing a full camo'd vehicle with weathering.

In the end, and to finally answer your question, I usually spend anywhere from 25 to 90 hours to complete a vehicle. In real time you could say 2 weeks to 2 months.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2012 - 05:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I work slowly,4-5 weeks

Is it a time constraint or do you just yor preferred pace? Does your pace dictate the quality of your builds?

Also, I noticed that your avitar looks very familiar to my old stomping grounds... That wouldn't be at Aberdeen Proving Grounds would it?

No ,it's not a time constraint,I just don't spend large chunks of time at the bench.Usually a half an hour or less at a time.It just works out that way.Its not an obsession that I need to churn out a model in a fast ime,nor is it that I am such a great craftsman,it just feels comfortable,and that's what's it's about.

Yes that was Aberdeen,summer of 2008,a beautiful day
ACESES5
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 71 Posts
KitMaker Network: 44 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2012 - 08:59 AM UTC
Avarage time for me 2 to 3 weeks I don't go in big for a lot of after market detail. I'm retired so I can work on a model everday if I so desire. ACESES5
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,184 Posts
KitMaker Network: 356 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2012 - 05:41 PM UTC
For a 4'x6' vignette about 6 months to a year. For a larger dio, a year at least. A pet dio I am working on has been about 16 years so far. These are on and off from occasional work and health problems, and many times the pain pills leave me with no gumption. Also a lot of time is also spent doing research and scratch building. Most modelers will blast by me but I build for fun and go to the occasional show. To each their own.
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2012 - 11:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Can I ask if this was just musing on a Saturday, or if you are looking for meaningful data?

Tom

I am starting again after 25+ years. Just curious as to how long it takes the advanced modelers to create a model and if my current plan of going about it in a slow-fashion was the predominant methodology.

Hi Ken,

In that case, welcome back to the hobby! I think the concensus seems to be "take whatever time you need to get it done to your own satisfaction". After all, it's a hobby, so there's no need to rush. (Otherwise it'd be a job, and I'd want to get paid for the hours... )

I've been building stuff for over three decades now, and of the 20+ kits I work on each year, I "finish" maybe six. But that's ok - my "fun" comes from the research and the building process. Then again, there are guys here who can knock together really complex kits in a week, including great painting & weathering! To each his own.

Hope this helps!

Tom
 _GOTOTOP