_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Canada
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Styrene
ScubaSteve12
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 12 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 - 01:35 PM UTC
I have been seeing a lot of scratchbuild projects being done using Styrene. Here's a question....where do I find this stuff??!! What would be a good thickness to use for basic builds? From what I've seen it's great stuff to work with, the question is where to get it around London, Ont?
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,971 Posts
KitMaker Network: 568 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 - 01:40 PM UTC
Steve

Most hobby stores carry a variety of styrene plastic, it comes in many sizes and thickness. It is best to determine size and thickness on what you are building. I tend to get a stock of plastic rods, square, and flat on hand in case I need to add something.

Hope that helps.

Kevin
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 2,672 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2012 - 02:10 AM UTC
One company is called Evergreen. Most hobby shops sell it.

cheers
JClapp
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,265 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2012 - 04:51 AM UTC
Evergreen is the line I see at many hobby stores, there is also Plastruct.
Here is one (of many, not to play favorites) online vendor who stocks it .

for buildings up to about 18 inches in any dimension, I like .030" sheet, which is quite rigid. .040" or even .060" is available for larger projects. surface treatments like brick and clapboard siding are available in various scales.

.020" sheet and strip is good for detail work, or short spans of flat surface, .015" for fine details. You can also get angle and channel to build frameworks to keep large sheets straight.

tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 11:26 AM UTC
quote]What would be a good thickness to use for basic builds?[/quote]
I like to use .030 or .040" thick (.75-1mm) sheet for most of the structural parts (anything tht takes load). For the details, then yu need a variety of thicknesses to replicate what you're building. I have Styrene sheet from .005" all the way up to .200" thick.

Quoted Text

From what I've seen it's great stuff to work with,

"Styrene" is Polystyrene, the same stuff injection moulded models are made from. Same problems, same benefits. Your mileage may vary.

Quoted Text

the question is where to get it around London, Ont?

I'm pretty sure the hobby shop on Oxford, East of Richmond, has Evergreen in stock. Plastruct is mostly ABS plastic and needs a different adhesive, although there are some styrene Plastruct shapes. Plastruct & Evergreen also make a huge selection of extruded shapes (andgles, Cs, Is tubers, solid squares & rectangles) all of which are really useful in scratchbuilding just abuot anything.

I've got maybe 50+ packages of different sizes & shapes of Evergreen products and almost always wish I had bought just one more size.
ubisuck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 461 Posts
KitMaker Network: 103 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2012 - 04:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have been seeing a lot of scratchbuild projects being done using Styrene. Here's a question....where do I find this stuff??!! What would be a good thickness to use for basic builds? From what I've seen it's great stuff to work with, the question is where to get it around London, Ont?

http://www.hornethobbies.com/index.html
Hornet Hobbies
1563 O'Connor Dr.
Toronto, ON

Has Evergreen. Ask for Trish and tell her Marc sends you (just say Bonjour and she'll get it)
 _GOTOTOP