_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Where to get plastic bolt heads?
120mmSniper
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 157 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 03:41 PM UTC
I see that Tichy Train group and Grandt Line have bolt heads in styrene, but not much selection. Does anyone else make styrene bolt heads with a good selection of sizes?

I don't want to go with the Historex punch and die set.

Thanks. Lee
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
entire network: 4,011 Posts
KitMaker Network: 879 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 04:15 PM UTC
Check out Plastuct Hex Rod series of products. Then cut your own from the rod. Good stuff and very affordable

http://plastruct.com/Pages/OnlineCatalogIndex.lasso

Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 6,965 Posts
KitMaker Network: 609 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 - 06:48 AM UTC
You can make your own if you have a set of tiny Allen wrenches. Mix up a lump of Milliput or similar two part epoxy putty, roll it out flat, and then push the Allen wrenches into it leaving nice clean hex shaped depressions. Once the putty hardens, heat up the end of a piece of sprue and push the soft plastic into the mould. Et voila! One perfectly shaped bolt head. Repeat as necessary
iowabrit
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 585 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 - 09:55 AM UTC
Bronco make a range of 1/35 scale bolt heads and Calibre 35 have some resin ones.....you can see them in the Vosper MTB build log on model shipwrights
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2012 - 10:51 AM UTC
Masterclub have a beautiful series of different bolts and rivets, ranging from like 0.5mm up to maybe 2mm. Beautifully cast. Got mines from Hobby Easy, but they have an agent in England now who sells on Ebay.UK
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 - 07:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You can make your own if you have a set of tiny Allen wrenches. Mix up a lump of Milliput or similar two part epoxy putty, roll it out flat, and then push the Allen wrenches into it leaving nice clean hex shaped depressions. Once the putty hardens, heat up the end of a piece of sprue and push the soft plastic into the mould. Et voila! One perfectly shaped bolt head. Repeat as necessary

I used to do something similar to this a long time ago before Plastruct made the hex rod. The difference is I would add the hex shapes to my RTV molds and whenever I had a little extra resin on a pour I'd just pour it into the hex depressions.
With the styrene hex rod life is so much easier. The key is not to try and cut each one exactly the right length, as it' s very difficult to square the cut. I just cut up a few dozen slightly oversized. I liberally apply liquid cement to the squarer of the two ends and cement them all in a row. When they set, then you can file all of the ends down evenly and squarely. I think there's even a photo or two of me doing this method in my gallery.

Edit: Well, for what it's worth, there are indeed photos from at least four different builds where I've done this. Sure beats the heck out of shaving bolt heads off of old Monogram M3 hulls. Yes, I've done that too.
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,355 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 - 02:26 PM UTC
You can make whatever size hex bolts you need from stretched hex rod (i.e.; Plastruct as KoSprueOne mentioned). Get a pack of the larger hex rod (say 1/4") and stretch it just like you would with sprues to make antennas and such. The hex shape is maintained as you stretch it.

This also works with styrene tubing, too. For very tiny tubes, I insert copper wire inside for cutting the tubing to prevent crushing it. Glue tiny tubes with super glue instead of styrene glue, otherwise it just melts away.

I've also use hex bolts and rivets from Grant Line and Tichy, but as you noted, getting the right size can be hard.

Most of the PE frets Eduard makes that I've seen have hex shapes in them for pressing softened styrene sprue or putty into for making hex shapes.

I hope this helps.
 _GOTOTOP