_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Minimum tools
Tacitus
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 4 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 - 10:32 AM UTC
Starting from scratch again and need to buld my tool set. Found this and was wondering if there's anything else I need or can exclude from the list:

1.) A hobby knife

2.) Assorted rubber bands: Great for holding odd shaped parts while glue dries.

3.) Fine grit sand paper: The metal variety is better in my opinion.

4.) One six- inch ceramic tile: Very useful to glue on, any spills can easily be scraped off with a hobby knife when dry.

5.) Various small boxes: Make a loop in masking tape, sticky side out to hold parts for painting.

6.) Masking tape

7.) Tweezers: For grasping truly small objects

8.) Small plastic bowl: Great for water when applying water type decals.

9.) Toothpicks: both round and flat to apply glue in small areas.

10.) Small side cutting pliers: Used to cut parts from plastic parts trees.

11.) Paint brushes: sizes from 00 up to a medium fine

12.) Paper towels
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 - 10:36 AM UTC
I would add one expensive item to that list a compressor and airbrush other wise looks good.
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,971 Posts
KitMaker Network: 568 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 - 11:14 AM UTC
Instead of sand paper, I would suggest sanding sticks, find them alot more versatile.

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 - 12:16 PM UTC
I would recommend avoiding rubber bands to hold parts for gluing. The glue will almost certainly touch the rubber band. When this happens, the rubber will melt and bind with the plastic.
As far as sand paper goes, I find that sanding sponges work great. You can find them at your local hardware store or Wal-mart. They tend to keep round parts round and are much easier to use than the plain paper.
I concur with Darren, that you should invest in an airbrush and compressor. With a little looking you can find a starter set around $40(harbor freight, ebay). If you don't want to invest in a compressor, canned air will do.
Later on, when you have a few more dollars to spend, I find music wire to be perfect for applying glue. When the tip becomes thick with glue, you can simply burn it off with a lighter.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 - 01:29 PM UTC
A basic set of small files is always handy to have. Also, a small set of assorted hobby pliers, if you are going to use etch or scratch with wire.
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,980 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 - 04:37 PM UTC
Instead of toothpicks I use a hatpin for gluing. It'll last forever as old glue can just be scrapped right off. Also, most hatpins have a large beaded head which makes it easy to keep a hold of it.

I'll agree with the others about the compressor and a decent airbrush. I've never been sorry for that investment.

If you're going to be working with a lot of small parts, some kind of magnifier helps.

Some kind of paint mixing tray. Make sure it's made out of a material that won't be affected by what you're using, or just line it with tin foil.
Little_Yoshi
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 18 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 12:25 AM UTC
Thanks! I thought about getting an airbrush/compressor, but I think I'd like to try with brushes first since I already have a bunch. Will definitely think about it in the future.
sabre1866
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 93 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 07:44 AM UTC
Hi Ken,
That's a real good base to start with
Just don't forget to wash your model in (just a little) soapy water before painting
That gets rid of all the greasy finger prints which can cause the paint to not adhere properly.
Above all mate, enjoy yourself.
Roger
amegan
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 996 Posts
KitMaker Network: 63 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 10:39 AM UTC
I would add several items to the list, a pin vice and a set of fine drills. A steel rule and a cutting board. I too have never regretted an airbrush and compressor or a magnifier with a light built in, but I am getting on now. Build up your tool kit and buy tools even if you have no immediate use for them, you will need them. A set of small clamps or clothes pegs are better than rubber bands, Various widths of masking tape is very useful. I prefer sanding sticks for abrasion and a buffing strip for finishing and getting sanding marks out of the plastic. Good scissors for cutting up decal sheets, need not be expensive, there are some good cheap pairs about now. Better tools make it easier to achieve good results and reduce the chances of making a mess, making your modelling more enjoyable. If you are using brushes buy good soft ones from reputable manufacturers, they point better and don't shed hairs.
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
entire network: 1,654 Posts
KitMaker Network: 89 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 12:49 PM UTC
Ken,I agree with all of the above.I do think you should add a 3/0 brush to the list.I always seem to need a brush one size smaller than what I have
And,if you're like Me you need A LOT of paper towels Jeff T.
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,485 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 02:32 PM UTC
Putty.... is a must....there is always
some sort of gap or ejection pin marks.
Cheers,
Joe
 _GOTOTOP