_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Paging thebear!!!! It's coming along!!!!!
JMacKenzie
Visit this Community
entire network: 23 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 05:55 AM UTC
thebear,

Not sure if you would recall my other thread from over a month ago which is why I started this one up.

First let me say thank's a million for all your (and everyone else here for that matter) help thus far, it took a while for me to find the time but I layed down the flat black base coat on my Timaya M4 Sherman this morning. It appears to be dry and I only painted it about an hour ago which brings me to my next question. How long do I need to wait before I can start laying down the olive drap overcoat for the panel shading? My motors are running full speed now and I can't wait to get started on the next step. Also I would like to add that my airbrush ran like a dream, had a nice fine mist to it which layed down perfectly leaving no drips or spots, I was very pleased with that for a first attempt :-)

One last question, you said to adjust my airbrush so only a fine line of paint will come through for painting in the panels. Seeing as how I misplaced my airbrush booklet that came with the unit could you explain exactly what part of my airbrush needs to be adjusted in order to get a fine line? Also, what psi should I set my compressor to?

Thank you so much guys for the help, I think this model is going to be a fine first attempt and I cant wait to share the pictures with all of you.

A very happy and greatful,

JMacKenzie
jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 719 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 06:08 AM UTC
If you primed her in flat black, the "panel shading" is already done.

You can start the OD paint job using fine thin mists over the centers of the panels. Let the black basecoat "darken" the OD in recessed areas and edges.... If you are going to use Taimiya acrylic OD, you can start as soon as the primer black is dry to the touch.

Jeff
JMacKenzie
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 06:26 AM UTC
Thank's man, what about adjusting my airbrush to get a very fne line? What is the trick to this?
jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 719 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 06:38 AM UTC
What model airbrush do you have?
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 06:42 AM UTC
I don't know what kind of airbrush you have, but on mine I turn the tip to adjust the spray. Look for a piece near the end you can turn and start spraying on piece of paper while turning. That's how do it with my PAAsche H-1
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 07:28 AM UTC
Hey good to hear it's coming along...Me I don't wait at all just reload and shoot ..lol well pretty much so....I just fill my cup spray my first coat of OD then (tamiya or gunze paints ) I'll spray some windex thru my brush ...then lighten my color with a bit of dark yellow or buff and fill up my cup and go again ..repeating this 2 or three times as needed..As for adjusting the airbrush well depends on what kind you have...for my Paashes H I use my fine needle and close it up so just a little tiny bit of paint begins to show after a couple of passes....but since I bought my Tamiya HG superfine hey it is a snap..just playing around with the thickness of the paint and the needle adjustment couldn't be easier!!As for the air pressure I usually shoot at around 20psi but only because my compressor isn't adjustable ...I know that's my next big ticket item...Let's see some pictures!!! Have fun with it ...remember the airbrush is our friend!!lol

Rick
JMacKenzie
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 07:38 AM UTC
My airbrush is a Badger Creseendo model 175.

It has a little tip you can turn and it also came with other needles which I would assume are all the same. So I guess I should just fiddle with the mettal nozzle at the tip of my airbrush to see how it comes out. What I would like to do is have my airbrush set so a very fine mist comes out just by pressing down the trigger. Right now if I just press down the trigger straight air comes out, only when I draw back the trigger does the paint start to disperce. Is this possible to have a very fine mist to spray just by pressing down the trigger on a double action airbrush?

Also, in the other thread you mentioned useing a 75% thinner (I am useing rubbing alcohol) and 25% paint ratio so I assume this si what I should do.

Thanks again guys.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 07:59 AM UTC
You got a pretty good airbrush to start with ..cool ....Check your needles you might have different sizes for diffferent jobs ....what I do with my super fine is I unscrew it in the back and pull the needle out as I press down on the button. when I see just a little dot of pait begin to appear ,I tighten up the needle so now when I just press down I have the tiniest line ....I can adjust my airbrush so that the trigger doesn't go back too far so if some times I want a little more paint I just pull back on the button and I know it won't open up wide ..I don't know if you have this on your brush though ...for the paint thinner ...Yep you got it ...I always use alcohol to thin tamiya and gunze paints ..cleans up great with windex too.

Rick
JMacKenzie
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2003 - 03:12 AM UTC
thebear,

Well, I spent all weekend painting and I am super happy with the results so far. The airbrush to my surprise I found to be very easy to control. At this point I have the whole tank painted and shaded and I have begun to paint the accessories. What I am finding hard is to get an accurate color for wood. The two cargo boxes that came with the kit I painted a flat brown but they just jump out too much when sitting on the tank. The same thing goes for the handles on the tools (shovel/hammer/axe) and I would like to tone them down a bit for a more realistic look.

Another thing I am very interested in is finding some rope that will look accurate to the models size. I want to have rope running through the tie downs but I want it to be accurate the models scale.

Can you help answer these questions? Sorry for singleing you out bear but I have been useing your methods from the start.

Thanks,
Jason
 _GOTOTOP