Militaria Forum
For discussions on a range of topics like reenacting, vehicle restoration, and collecting.
National Military History Center Sale: TRAGIC
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 - 02:29 AM UTC
I just found the tragic announcement that National Military History Center in Auburn, Indiana:
Quoted Text

in Auburn, Indiana, sell more than 80 vintage military vehicles as well as a diverse assortment of more than 100 pieces of priceless war memorabilia at no reserve. The single-day sale is expected to feature the largest group of full and halftrack military items ever offered at public auction. Each item will be auctioned on Saturday, Dec. 8, at the center including a particularly rare WWII Daimler-Benz DB10 12 ton Primer mover, among the scarcest of all German equipment.

A couple of hundred photos that I've sent in to Armorama walkarounds were taken there. I still have dozens more to post. It pains me that this site may now be the only place to view that once incredible collection after the auction.

http://www.auctionsamerica.com/media/release.cfm?ID=908
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,980 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 - 03:30 PM UTC
The really sad part is that most of it will end up in the hands of private collectors and rarely be seen by the public again. If I had the means I'd buy the lot and put it on loan to various museums.
IrishGreek
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 627 Posts
KitMaker Network: 56 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2012 - 06:35 AM UTC
Time to buy a lottery ticket, because that's the only way I would get enough to buy anything there. To loan to a museum or otherwise...
AFVFan
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2012 - 07:49 PM UTC
I buy tickets all the time.... but the lottery gods don't seem to like me very much.
IrishGreek
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 02:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I buy tickets all the time.... but the lottery gods don't seem to like me very much.

whenever I do buy them, must be in the same boat as you!

We need a new boat!
armouredcharmer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 09:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

whenever I do buy them, must be in the same boat as you!

We need a new boat!

We`re gonna need a bigger boat !!
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,184 Posts
KitMaker Network: 356 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 01:29 PM UTC
I think it was the problems the Cruze auction had the other year, something to do with permits out of order/not correct and it cost them big time. And all the vehicles will end up in private hands and not open to the public viewing anymore. Just proves too much government or a public official with too much time on his/her hands. It was real nice to have it locally and the AMPS shows there. Bigger boat? Hope you can take on survivors, mine will sink at 10 p.m.
milvehfan
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,116 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,015 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2012 - 05:18 AM UTC
Terrible News. I have visited there twice in the last 3 years. Enjoyed all the vehicles, displays, and AMPS Show there.

milvehfan
AFVFan
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 03:28 PM UTC
Anyone hear any of the outcome of this auction today? I sure couldn't afford to buy anything, but am curious if anyone has heard any of the sale prices.
IrishGreek
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 - 09:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Anyone hear any of the outcome of this auction today? I sure couldn't afford to buy anything, but am curious if anyone has heard any of the sale prices.

Yes, here is the web page showing the items and results...

Auction Site
AFVFan
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2012 - 04:11 AM UTC
Thanks for the link John. I'm kind of surprised some of that stuff sold for what it did. Most of the motorcycles went for under $10K. If this sale had been held in Europe, I believe the prices on a lot of them, especially the Velocette, Norton and Guzzi, would have been much higher.

I need to contact my friends up at the AAF Tank Museum and see if they grabbed anything. I know they were supposed to go to the sale.