_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
Hello
Moyana
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2012 - 10:41 PM UTC
Good morning all.

I've decided to, before I splash out some cash get some good honest and better informed opinions than my own.

To give you a basic background. I've not really been modelling for a long long time, back in the day when I was younger I remember putting together old Airfix kits with a gusto and then I turned my hand to the Warhammer 40,000 series. Obviously being young at the time my skills wern't exactly up to scratch.

Now the niggle to model again has always been kicking around and i've started to look for a model to construct and turn my hand to painting and hopefully displaying proudly. The only issue is that the models seem so ... well basic. Of course though, this is due to my inexperience in identifying a decent kit. So, my question is; would you be able to recommend a decent make of kit, or a decent model on which to get started. Ideally i'd like a 1:35 scale to begin with, potentially a Centurion Mk7.

Many thanks for reading this long post and any advice.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 - 03:26 AM UTC
Welcome back to modeling, Joe. Don't know much about a Centurion Mk.7, but if you want to get started with something that offers decent detail, Newer Tamiya kits and AFV Club kits could be a good starting point. AFV Club has a Centurion Mk.5 in IDF service in stock, as well as a Valentine and Churchills. Tamiya has a Cromwell. Tamiya are easy to assemble but offer decent detail. AFV Club generally has good instructions, good detail and a few very small parts.
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 - 04:13 AM UTC
Hi Joe

I'll put in my 2 cents worth or in your neck of the woods is it 2 shillings..

I'll speak from my own experience of what I've done.

The newer Tamiya kits offer decent details, but not so much tiny bits. Some suggestions there are the newer Willys MB, "Jeep" goes together quite nice, and the M8 Greyhound and 2 1/2 ton truck offers some nice details.

The later offerings from Academy build up fairly detailed. Such as the M-10 GMC and the M-18 Hellcat good details, some fiddly bits, but not as much as Dragon kits.

The Dragon kits (aka DML) are the masters of the fiddly bits, esp the newer offerings. If you like to get into assembling the smallest detail, these are the kits for you. Dragon kits pretty much have the smallest parts and the most pieces in the box. I'd recommend some practice before tackling one of these..

later
Delbert
 _GOTOTOP