Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Too-tall Trucks vs Bridge -- Hilarious!!
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2012 - 03:34 PM UTC
My abdomen hurts from laughing!

http://the-tubez.prochan.com/The_Tubez/t/da1_1351183858
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,116 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,015 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2012 - 05:01 PM UTC
Funny , I enjoyed the laugh.

mil
armouredcharmer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 - 07:53 AM UTC
I`m stunned that people even try !,if i came back with the roof peeled off my work`s van they`d find my lifeless corpse (courtesy of my boss) floating in the local river !!
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 - 08:00 AM UTC

I live close by and I know that bridge and a second one in Raleigh.
People do it all the time!!!!
mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
entire network: 1,280 Posts
KitMaker Network: 213 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 - 10:48 AM UTC
It is less funny if that is the only way to the autobahn and you have to stand in a traffic jam for two hours - the third time in a month. On the 16th of the month...
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2012 - 11:02 PM UTC
My brother-in-law suffered the same, when he tried to fit a U-haul under the awning of a hotel.
mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
entire network: 1,280 Posts
KitMaker Network: 213 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2012 - 11:35 PM UTC
Seen this with boats three times:

First time in the 1970s - dutch channel barge trying to pass under a bridge while unloaded. Crew had never before operated on the Mittelland-channel where bridges are older/lower than on the Dortmund-Ems and the Rhine (their "territory") and jammed the unloaded barge under a bridge. Getting it out involved dumping loads of huge stones from the bridge in the cargo hold. A cargo hold not designed for it so the next trip was to the slips at Bevergern

The other two where tourist boats on the Shannon-Erne waterway. Temonbarry Bridge is legendary for cutting the tops of high-build boats that can not wait for the bridge to rise. And when the hobby-captains on their charterboat realize the flybridge will not fit the current and low powered engine combine and they are well past the "point of no return"
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,510 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 06:02 PM UTC
This is just sad, notice almost all of them slow down but keep going anyways? As if their speed would make any difference. Or the two pick-ups with hay bales, first truck didn't make it under but the second one will fit for some reason unknown to me. Sheer stupidity....
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,184 Posts
KitMaker Network: 356 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 - 07:32 AM UTC
Well it does happen. Most of the time the driver just isn't paying attention because here in the U.S. all over passes are marked. The dispatchers for companies coming here to Fort Wayne never think about it, cause they use that crappy map quest; made for cars!!! Any trucker who likes to keep his job will check his Rand McNally road map atlas and check for himself. I have backed out several tractor trailers over the years here and on the road. Though sometimes, myself included, we run into trouble when some dumb fool repaves under the over pass without grading it down first. Lucky for me I was going slow enough to just catch the forward edge of the box and crumpled it a bit. Having hauled cars for awhile, the rule of thumb is, approach slow and if in doubt, get out and stick it. Good thing cause when in Chicago with a car carrier once, I stopped and put up the stick, too low to go. When the drivers behind me complained and cursed me out I said better a hold up of 5 min. than being stuck and wait to get pulled out and delaying for hours. Some people just don't get it, including some truckers sadly. Though I had to laugh at the two P/u's with hay; blind definitely leading the way.