_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Canada
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Royal Military College
Youngun
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 587 Posts
KitMaker Network: 23 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2012 - 07:21 AM UTC
Has anyone on here currently serving in the forces, gone through the Royal Military College? I've applied for next year, and wanted to see if anyone on here has gone through it
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,698 Posts
KitMaker Network: 130 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - 02:04 PM UTC
Were you accepted?

RMC 1988-92.
VictoriaEdwards
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2013 - 05:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Has anyone on here currently serving in the forces, gone through the Royal Military College? I've applied for next year, and wanted to see if anyone on here has gone through it

I graduated from the Royal Military College of Canada as a civilian. I interviewed a number of modellers for the alumni journal. Although modellers tend to be involved in the war gamers clubs today, these modellers were active in the museum club.

*11330 LGen (ret) Angus Watt (CMR 1977), http://everitas.rmcclub.ca/?p=96271
*11690 Simon MacDowall http://everitas.rmcclub.ca/?p=95729
*9540 Paul Jenkins (CMR 1974), http://everitas.rmcclub.ca/?p=96168
*11282 Ross Macfarlane, 8057 Ross McKenzie, and Eric Ruel http://everitas.rmcclub.ca/?p=95145
Youngun
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - 03:26 PM UTC
When I applied I was at Queens playing football and military service has always been something I was interested in. Unfortunately I was injured playing football, and the surgery recovery time would not have allowed me to start for the 2013/2014 year. I have since applied for NCM Combat Eng, and Crewman and will hopefully after my second year of Uni be at CFLRS for BMQ
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 6,965 Posts
KitMaker Network: 609 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 10:53 AM UTC
La Mega! I hope they've cleaned it up since I was there for language school. We had to patrol the hallways at night to keep people from committing suicide. It was a soul-destroying place back then.
Youngun
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 06:50 AM UTC
Jesse, I assume you were something air force related. When did you go through?

I look forward to the mega, I've been watching Basic Up and it reminds me a lot of Football training camps. Long days filled with PowerPoints, physical activity and discipline
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 6,965 Posts
KitMaker Network: 609 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2013 - 09:53 AM UTC
Actually I was a Naval Offisler back in the day. I was there in the late Winter and early Spring of 1990 before I managed to escape by challenging the exams and graduating early (You could do that in Language School).

I haven't got any experience of NCMs' basic, but for us, it was an endurance test of sleep deprivation combined with constant cramming for exams and sprinkled by weekends spent soaking wet and freezing cold out in the woods trying to apply the week's lessons. With 4 hours sleep at most. If we were lucky. It was pretty much the hardest 13 weeks I've ever spent but graduation from that gives you a monster shot of confidence because you learn what you can actually accomplish once you put your mind to it.

Best of luck in your course. Keep your head down, become part of the crowd, learn to play the game the way they want it played and you'll do fine
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2013 - 02:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

When I applied I was at Queens playing football and military service has always been something I was interested in. Unfortunately I was injured playing football, and the surgery recovery time would not have allowed me to start for the 2013/2014 year. I have since applied for NCM Combat Eng, and Crewman and will hopefully after my second year of Uni be at CFLRS for BMQ

If you are at Queens, I would consider sticking it out at Civy U and applying for DEO, or see if they will offer you ROTP Civy U. I'm surprised to see that the recruiter is pushing an NCM trade on a university student.
Youngun
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 - 02:07 PM UTC
Turns out Graeme I will hopefully be going the route of ROTP next year, for Armoured, Inf, or Pilot
recceboy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 706 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2013 - 04:42 PM UTC
Armoured ..........
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 03:35 PM UTC
Good stuff. The operational trades are fun (I was Inf then Arty), but looking back on it, I wish I had gone Air Log...those guys go everywhere, but still get to stay in hotels!
Youngun
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2014 - 12:02 PM UTC
I just wish I worked harder in maths and science, my no.1 NCM trade would have been Combat Eng, but my second choice was Armoured so I'm not toooo upset about that.
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 2,672 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 01:48 AM UTC
To start over again, I would go with traffic tech and make my way to load master. Flight pay +hotel living!

cheers
 _GOTOTOP