_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Tamiya Acrylic paints?
spiralcity
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 150 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2012 - 07:17 PM UTC
I am having a problem spraying my Tamiya Acrylics.

I am using a 50/50 mix of alcohol to paint, but when I spray I tend to get a pebbly surface.

I was using about 15psi, then I cut back to about 12psi, then I bumped up to about 18psi, then 20psi, still the same problem. My mixture looked right, it was about the consistency of milk.

I like to use car window wash for my thinner, but I didn't have any on hand. I never have a problem when I use window cleaner.

Any ideas folks?
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2012 - 08:59 PM UTC
The problem with alcohol or alcohol based products is they dry very quickly. High pressures and distance to the model all have an effect, and the pebbly surface is a result of the paint being already dry when it reaches the plastic surface. I use ethanol as a thinner, and have to thin more than normal. Make usre the paint is wet when it hits the surface .... stay in the same location for more than a fraction of a second it will tend to run. Try thinning it more and reducing your pressure again. The 50/50 mixture or milk consistency is just a guide ... not an exact science ... so keep working with it until you get it.
spiralcity
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2012 - 09:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The problem with alcohol or alcohol based products is they dry very quickly. High pressures and distance to the model all have an effect, and the pebbly surface is a result of the paint being already dry when it reaches the plastic surface. I use ethanol as a thinner, and have to thin more than normal. Make usre the paint is wet when it hits the surface .... stay in the same location for more than a fraction of a second it will tend to run. Try thinning it more and reducing your pressure again. The 50/50 mixture or milk consistency is just a guide ... not an exact science ... so keep working with it until you get it.

Hi Frank,
Thanks for the reply.
Alcohol is all I have on hand at the moment. Window washer is my favorite thinner for acrylics but I ran out. I'll try cutting back again on the psi and thinning a bit more.

First I have to re-prep my Dark Shark. What a nightmare!
JClapp
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,265 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2012 - 11:46 PM UTC
I think the Tamiya acrylic thinner they sell in the bottles is about 50% alcohol water mix. if the alcohol you are thinning with is 91% you might try cutting it with some distilled water.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2012 - 12:54 AM UTC
I have had success with Tamiya Thinner X-20A,it's not that expensive and it goes a long way
spiralcity
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2012 - 10:54 AM UTC
A big thanks to everyone for the replies.

I ran out and picked up some washer fluid, so I'm good.

The alcohol was 91%, so cutting it a bit would most likely help. Now I'm going to clean the paint from my plane and start all over.
REDFROG
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 64 Posts
KitMaker Network: 58 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 - 02:40 AM UTC

I know that some modelers like to use different concoctions as a replacement for the thinner sold by the paint manufacturer but I always recommend the thinner from the paint company you are using.Most times your own formula will work but when you need that paint to flow correctly your paint will end up freaking out. It is Murphy's law. I can not tell you how many time I have had customers tell me I sprayed it the same way 100 times and never a problem...then wham, big paint problem. Use the factory thinner it helps eliminate most problems and or reduuces them so you know what probably caused them.
spiralcity
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 - 07:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I know that some modelers like to use different concoctions as a replacement for the thinner sold by the paint manufacturer but I always recommend the thinner from the paint company you are using.Most times your own formula will work but when you need that paint to flow correctly your paint will end up freaking out. It is Murphy's law. I can not tell you how many time I have had customers tell me I sprayed it the same way 100 times and never a problem...then wham, big paint problem. Use the factory thinner it helps eliminate most problems and or reduuces them so you know what probably caused them.

Ron,
Thanks for the input.

Actually the window cleaner fluid solved the problem. My paint is no longer hitting the surface dry and causing problems.

I've been using window washer fluid for acrylics from day one with no issues. I'm preety sure it was an article by Shepperd Paine that turned me on to the washer fluid. In any case, it's the best stuff I've used as far as thinners for acrylics.

Tamiya and Gunze spray very well with the fuid.
MadModeler
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
entire network: 454 Posts
KitMaker Network: 165 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 - 08:14 AM UTC
I have use Tamiya Thinner X-20A for Tamiya. Can't really complain. It's all about finding what works for you.

Take care,
MM
 _GOTOTOP