_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Aircraft
This is a group for aircraft scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
large vacforming
ludwig113
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,381 Posts
KitMaker Network: 176 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 - 04:47 AM UTC
hi all,

i need some advice on large vac forming 1/48 scale i.e. fuselage and wings etc, and any do's or dont's when it comes to vacforming this size.

i'm a total newbie at this but have a few ideas that i want to try over the winter.

cheers paul
Lawnguylander
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 23 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 - 03:55 PM UTC

Hi Paul,

I would recommend starting with a paperback book, "Do It Yourself Vacuum Forming" by Douglas E. Walsh 1990, which will walk you thru building your own rig, and hints on how to avoid newbie mistakes. One tip, that I'm not sure is in the book, but i use often, (or, often enough) is that if you get a bad pull, you can just leave the misshapen sheet of styrene in the frame, and when you re-heat it, it will snap back to it's original flat condition. Saves a lot of time and money. The most common mistake folks make is something called an "undercut"- Imagine vac'ing over a golf ball- when the plastic got pulled around the bottom of the ball, the opening wouldn't be large enough to remove the ball, which, obviously, is bad. also, elevate your mold from the forming surface, called the Platen. A small radius of plastic will form where the part rests on the platen, and distort the mating surface. Raising the part puts the radius on the scrap plastic below the finished part, which then can be trimmed away, leaving a nice, crisp piece. Let me know if i can answer any more questions, and good luck-

Chesley White
ludwig113
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 - 07:19 AM UTC
thanks for those tips, i'll try and find a copy of that book.

cheers paul
radish1us
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 8 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 - 10:59 PM UTC
One of the members on this forum has written an excellent article on this very subject, it is simple to follow his directions and it will work, been there, done that.

http://automodeler.kitmaker.net/features/1243
ludwig113
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2012 - 04:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

One of the members on this forum has written an excellent article on this very subject, it is simple to follow his directions and it will work, been there, done that.

http://automodeler.kitmaker.net/features/1243

]]

thats great, many thanks

paul
 _GOTOTOP