_GOTOBOTTOM
Network Talk
For discussions about network-wide site topics, announcments, etc.
Improved 'feature' in Features section
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2012 - 10:03 AM UTC
I am working on a new replacement Latest Posts page and discovered an obvious flaw in the 'scroll down' for more approach which that page will also adopt (no more cached LP pages!). That being said, if you scroll down a ways and read something, when you hit back on your browser you completely lose your place and most of the additional listings you had prior. This is a browser/javascript thing and not easily worked around. Anyways this problem existed in the Features area so I wanted to fix it there first and use that solution for the new LP page as well.

My solution is to make it so that when you read an article, that info is saved via cookie so that when you go back to the main features page you will see that article near the TOP of the listings and older articles listed below. This is not a perfect solution, but a best-case scenario for now. There are browsers or situations where it will still try to move you down the page partially so that you might feel a bit lost at first, but if you go up to the top you will see the article you were just reading and can continue on your way from there.

Cheers,
Jim
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2012 - 10:06 AM UTC
Just for the die-hard regulars who read this stuff, here is a preview of the new LP page. Not all functionality is in-place yet. For example you can go to the THIS SITE only link, but you cannot yet return to the ALL view.

Cheers,
Jim
 _GOTOTOP