_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Canada
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
NorthStar Hobbies
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,971 Posts
KitMaker Network: 568 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 - 11:43 AM UTC
I was just on NorthStar's website, states it is closing? When I have been in the Toronto area, I have stopped by, good store, friendly staff. Any ideas as to what happen?
Canadiandiesel
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 10 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 - 04:23 PM UTC
yep big red letters too,
Youngun
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 587 Posts
KitMaker Network: 23 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2012 - 07:18 AM UTC
It's closed, apparently the store was in some heavy debt and the creditors shut it down. Its really unfortunate, it was a great place
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,971 Posts
KitMaker Network: 568 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2012 - 07:28 AM UTC
Wonder if it will be up for sale?
Trackjam
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 831 Posts
KitMaker Network: 210 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 - 02:26 PM UTC
The closing of Northstar was a sad day for those of us that spent Saturdays there. The 'club' has moved to the basement of Hornet Hobbies on O'Connor. I saw Sheldon, the former owner of Nothstar on Saturday and he is doing fine. I would not expect any chance of a buyer for the business.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 - 08:45 AM UTC
Yeah, I love Dave & Hornet Hobbies, but it's a huge drive to Hornet from Brampton for a tube of bloody Squadron White putty! $25 in gas & 407 fees for a $4 tube of spot & glaze.

Bugger.

I've tried atthe various "hobby" shops in Peel region and they are all either comic/gaming shops or RC shops and none carry the basic supplies!

Double bugger!

Paul
Trackjam
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 2012 - 04:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yeah, I love Dave & Hornet Hobbies, but it's a huge drive to Hornet from Brampton for a tube of bloody Squadron White putty! $25 in gas & 407 fees for a $4 tube of spot & glaze.

Bugger.

I've tried atthe various "hobby" shops in Peel region and they are all either comic/gaming shops or RC shops and none carry the basic supplies!

Double bugger!

Paul

Paul
I've been going to Hornet on Saturdays. Let me know what you need and I can pick it up for you. I'm right next door in Georgetown.
Krashk
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 29 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 05:04 AM UTC
I also go to hornet hobbies. its a great store with a wonderful atmosphere, and they are the only store close to Oshawa that carries AK's line. I was at the airbrushing clinic they had in Dec. and I'll probably go to the next clinic. I've never been to North Star, but it always sucks when any good hobby store goes belly up.
raidvvan
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2013 - 03:46 PM UTC
The east end stores are great, but there are a few hobby stores (that I know of) in Mississauga:
- Panther Hobbies, less than 1 km (!) away from the former Northstar location, in the same Dundas & 427 area. They stock basic supplies and kits. They have many second hand kits, at relatively good prices. I got a few kits there cheaper than on eBay, if I include shipping. They have paints and supplies as well.
http://www.pantherhobbies.com/
- Great Hobbies, a relatively new store at Winston Churchill & 401, near the highway. Mostly dedicated to RC stuff, but they have quite a few plastic kits, all new, and supplies as well. Being closest to me, that's my goto store when I need a bottle of paint.
http://www.greathobbies.com
- Hobby Hobby, in Streetsville. Again mostly RC, very few plastic kits, but they have paints and supplies. I have ordered some stuff from there, good experience.
http://hobbyhobby.com/store/
There's also the huge Credit Valley Railway store at Winston Churchill & 401 (used to be in Streetsville as well). Very nice store, pity (or fortunately, looking at prices) I am not into trains. But they are very well stocked with supplies, paints, scratch build materials.
http://www.cvrco.com
EverAlways1994
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 04:50 PM UTC
They got wheels and wings which is another great shop!
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 2,275 Posts
KitMaker Network: 42 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 - 02:19 AM UTC
Dundas Valley Hobby is great.
Youngun
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - 03:24 PM UTC
Has anyone seen sheldon recently, I had two of my finished models at Northstar and now their gone.I would really love to get them back.
Youngun
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 04:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Has anyone seen sheldon recently, I had two of my finished models at Northstar and now their gone.I would really love to get them back.

Anyone? They were two of my prize pieces..
raypalmer
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,151 Posts
KitMaker Network: 100 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 01:59 AM UTC
I think you're outta luck youngun. The place was shuttered quite a while ago now and peering through the window it appeared all the contents had remained. Auctioned by the creditors no doubt.

On a side note panther is pretty OK. Great hobbies actually isn't bad. But dundas Valley is the place to be. Wide selection of paint and tools etc. Credit Valley trains or whatever it's called is completely useless for non rr modeling save for if you need ez line.
Trackjam
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2014 - 01:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I see him occasionally. I'll ask what became of the models on display. I have one of his showcases in my basement. Didn't come with models though.
Youngun
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2014 - 12:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I see him occasionally. I'll ask what became of the models on display. I have one of his showcases in my basement. Didn't come with models though.

Thanks Paul. I realllly hope they didn't end up in the trash...
 _GOTOTOP