_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Model Airplanes are Good!
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 09:50 AM UTC
Until the last month or so I was just a armour and figure modeler. I had never tried a plane or had much desire to. I was asked by my father to do a Spitfire for him and the Kit was a shamble. (ICM Buzz Beurling, a real stinker.) But know that I have finished it and even though my paint job could be a lot better, I am so proud of it!! I have ordered a Huricane from Hasagawa and can't wait to build it. Planes will know be rivaling my building time with my tanks. Just thought I would share this with all.

Cheers
HastyP
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 10:02 AM UTC
YOU TURNCOAT! ARMOUR RULES DO NOT SUCCUM TO THE DARKSIDE!
thenamshow
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 104 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 10:34 AM UTC
stick with all three i just dont do figures but i love armor and planes rock on man
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 10:48 AM UTC
I must admit that planes do look pretty. That said I couldn't stand having to do all the puttying and sanding. I built a 1/48 B17 for my wife and I hated most all of it. Plus the thing takes up as much room on a shelf as four good sized tanks. I might still be tempted to the Dark Side, but I'm going to still to ground pounders for a while longer.
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 10:51 AM UTC
Ah, another convert. Welcome to the better side.
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,462 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 12:27 PM UTC
well i build both tanks and planes,
when i get bored with a tank i will build a plane.
planes are so fun to build and so are tanks,
they both are great in there own way
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
entire network: 1,941 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 12:39 PM UTC
I also build both of them.Just change between them when I feel I´m tired of building the same. Planes really look cool in the shelf.
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 428 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 01:09 PM UTC
Hey, the more the merrier....
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 05:58 PM UTC
i ve builded many years planes but the last ten years i am on the track side and not the track side. But i tend to build helicopters that i like very very much . try them
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 10:00 PM UTC
It's not bad doing all of them. AC's good too! These were my first successful models. As of now, I'm doing some AFV's and a little work on figs included. Wish I could do well in figs cause I suck at washes!
danmo
Visit this Community
Ecuador
entire network: 92 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 04:40 AM UTC
I prefer tanks, but where I live it's easier to find plane kits, so I began building them and it's really fun, different stuff but fun

Danmo
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 06:10 AM UTC
No problem Hasty....we all make mistakes #:-)
KiwiDave
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 248 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 06:34 AM UTC
I dont like being categorised, but I was a car modeller who 'discovered' armour at the start of the year I am now building my first aircraft since 1966.

The 'Tamiya Factor' (ie crap kit) is detracting from the pleasure of aviating, but worse, I am getting withdrawal symptoms from not having a big ugly tank on the workbench.

All armour models should carry a health warning - "Danger, modelling armour can become adictive".

Regards Dave :-)
crossbow
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 1,387 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 09:24 AM UTC
I started with planes when I was about 8, but later I've "advanced" into armour. Although I occasionally make a plane (my last one was a V1, does that count as a plane??).

Kris
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 10:14 AM UTC

I've modeled on and off (truthfully more off in the early years than on) since before "the Andy Griffith Show" first aired. Heck, check that, more accurately, just after the first Kineoscope airings of the Jackie Gleason 'Honeymooner's' show on CBS I believe.. (how many of the members remember that?)
Anyway. Aircraft modeling was introduced to me by my father. He used to build AC models when I was a baby and then proceed to hang them from the ceiling of my room above my crib. So I guess you can say I was weaned on aircraft baby 'mobiles'. (Geeez, can you imagine the temptation there?) So aircraft modeling is first and dear to my heart. To be honest, armour modeling is somewhat new to me as a whole. But I enjoy it immensly.
He also introduced figure modeling to me as well. Old style metal 'Military Miniature's' were his strong point. Unfortunately I never really followed his lead/talent in that arena. I've always thought it a shame I didn't.
So, HastyP, just remember one very important thing.....do what makes you happy. Do what makes you feel better about your talents. And, most importantly. Do what makes you feel like you've accomplished something that has broadened your abilities by the time you invested, and the time you've shared with other's of the same ilk.

Tread.
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 11:21 AM UTC
Oh by no means am I giving up armour. I just have a new found and greater love for military modeling thanks to my father asking me to build a plane. Now I have more kits to choose from..... what to buy next?

Regards
HastyP
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 11:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

..... what to buy next?...............

My humble suggestion? The new(ish) Hasegawa 1:32nd scale Focke Wulf Fw190D-9 kit. An absolutely SUPERB aircraft kit for the sheckles!! Probably a third of the price of the Tammy Zero kit in most hobby stores, and all of the quality. Of course, I'm a sucker for the large-scale stuff. So lend a pre-warned ear to my ramblings.......

Tread.
 _GOTOTOP