_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
What part of a kit do you NOT like?
Doppler
Visit this Community
entire network: 58 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2002 - 06:05 PM UTC
We all love modelling. No question about it. But what part of a kit or stage of modelling do you dread? What part of the whole kit do you wish was either pre-made or already completed?

Example: For myself. I dread any wheel painting. Don't ask me why. But I put off wheels until the bitter end. Especially when there are several, such as the recent Tamyia 6x6 Dodge I built. Ugh! 10 total tires/wheels.

It doesn't have to make sense to anyone else, but what part of a kit do you just not like?

Lucas Freeman
Brunswick, ME
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 1,088 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2002 - 07:19 PM UTC
NOT like..hmm.
I hate painting anything I can´t finish with one shot. Wheels for example.
And all the necessary but boring invisible stuff like clear coats every once in a while. And waiting it to dry. Oh yes, and glueing clear parts. I always end up touching a portion of it with a dirty, painty, gluy, varnishy, greasy hand!
But the delight is genuine when you pass those stupid phases of the work!

Toni
PZLHRDIV
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 2 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2002 - 09:19 PM UTC
I can't stand tracks. I build a M163 Vulcan and I still haven't done the tracks yet. And Envar is abolutley right about clear parts.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2002 - 09:25 PM UTC
Having to paint something white. One of the reasons I rarely do jets, their undercarriage is almost always white.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2002 - 09:32 PM UTC
Welcome to the site PZLHRDIV! You just found the best armour site on the web!

As to my answer, I am forced to reply that each kit has it's own particular piece that fits into the 'Enjoyment Challanged' catagory. As to not liking the painting stage, that's generally the most challanging and enjoyable part for me. You mentioned both tyres and road wheels are your lest favourite....to paint. Hmmm, I don't mind painting them at all. I'm just not a fan of cleaning them all up and 'fine-tuning' them (for me, this means adding some form of damage to the wheels...takes time ).

Tread.
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2002 - 09:35 PM UTC
I haven't done individual track links yet, so I have no input on those. I sprayed a coat of white paint on my Star Destroyer last night, and didn't have any major problems. (Man, this model is gonna look great when it's done!!!) The only two things I absolutely shudder at the thought of is: 1) brush painting... and 2) figure painting! I supppose I'd be better at brush painting if I got some better brushes. But still.....

YodaMan
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
entire network: 1,757 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2002 - 09:43 PM UTC
I've got no problem with brush painting, that's what I do all the time ! Except once, for a camo scheme
where I used sponge painting.
I hate painting white, yellow and red, most of all when gloss...
And I can't stand cleaning 50 times the same part : individual track links, road wheels...
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2002 - 10:38 PM UTC
By the Way; I shall soon own a digital camera, so look for some in-progress shots of the Destroyer (and other projects) mid to late next week...

YodaMan
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2002 - 10:44 PM UTC
I, for one, can't wait to see the pics Yoda!
I've got a fibre optic Star Destroyer sitting in storage that is calling to me again (since the release of ATC). Too many other projects on the table tho'. But would enjoy seeing yours!

Tread.
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 760 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2002 - 11:38 PM UTC
I love building kits, except the cleanup of flash and ejector pin marks. Since I like early war Soviet vehicles, I'm stuck with model from companies such as Start, AER, and Mirage. While their models are bad per se (with the exception of AER whose models ARE bad), they do have an abundance of flash and ejector pin marks.

I also dislike painting because I spend months building the model and I'm always afraid of ruining all of that work.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 02:57 AM UTC
I dislike sanding the seam off the kit gun barrel, and also DML individual track links....
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 03:36 AM UTC
I hate to find parts not cast properly in the model kit - either mold-shifted out of round or square; or short-shot with huge sinkholes like on Italeri wheeled vehicle axles.

Gunnie
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 03:51 AM UTC
I really dislike the thirteen in a dozen part. Doing 16 bombs or 8 tyres which are exactly the same and that sort of stuff.

I like doing a bomb or so, but after a couple of them, I've seen it, been there and bought the T-shirt. Glueing, painting or weathering 16 bombs in a row really spills my joy. Therefore I try to spread the assembly of those parts, but I always end up with different looking things, that were the same when they were in the box.

Some tips over here on how to avoid that nasty feeling??
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 03:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I really dislike the thirteen in a dozen part. Doing 16 bombs or 8 tyres which are exactly the same and that sort of stuff.

I like doing a bomb or so, but after a couple of them, I've seen it, been there and bought the T-shirt. Glueing, painting or weathering 16 bombs in a row really spills my joy. Therefore I try to spread the assembly of those parts, but I always end up with different looking things, that were the same when they were in the box.

Heh heh - me too! I spread mine out over several different days, so that I don't do it all at once, and get to work on something more fun in between. It helps beat the monotony.

Gunnie
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 03:56 AM UTC
i dislike link-to-link track, multi-part chassis, 2-part tank guns and stainless photoetch
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 602 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 04:08 AM UTC
i hate body seams
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 330 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 04:09 AM UTC
What I dislike the most is not being able to work on my kits, like I would like to. My work days have become so long, that when I get home I'm to pooped to paint...or glue ...or file a seam. And my weekends are when I catch up with the many other chores around the house. I need a vacation...no better still...I need to retire.
Spike9077
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 179 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 04:18 AM UTC
I hate individual track links, gluing clear parts, and when you work so hard or long on a piece and then found out that you did something wrong.

Mark
Eagle
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 04:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What I dislike the most is not being able to work on my kits, like I would like to. My work days have become so long, that when I get home I'm to pooped to paint...or glue ...or file a seam. And my weekends are when I catch up with the many other chores around the house. I need a vacation...no better still...I need to retire.

Heir Heir Rufus.....

♫♫Stormy weather....since my kits and I ain't together....♪♫
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 04:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So many cute armored vehicles, so little time...

Toni???........?
I thought we resolved the 'cute' military vehicles in the "Kubelwagen-for bucketheads" topic? No?

♫♫I say 'Hey!' What's goin' on?♪♫

Another thing I like, but I really don't like is the end phase of completion... I want to keep it slow and deliberate, but I always rush so I can finish the model. Patience!... Control, control, you must learn control!

YodaMan
Eagle
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 04:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Patience!... Control, control, you must learn control!

Patience: That's what it's all about Yoda. A wife can help you with the learning to be patient part......the hard way.

Some guys over here hide their kits after buying..........They have to be the patient ones.......Just wonder how long the hiding part takes place ? Is it a week, a month ?
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 602 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 04:49 AM UTC
and of course the little tiny part i drop in the carpet is a pain also
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 09:14 AM UTC
The thing I hate most is something I never done before. With each kit or each new diorama I try to bring in something new. A new method or to scratchbuild something I have never done before. I almost have sleepless nights. At the moment I have a tiger 1 late ready to start and I have never used zimmerit before. I dont want to destroy my kit. I seem to spend hours reading up on it, to try and get every last detail about it. Ill get there some day and wonder what all the fuss is about. Link tracks and wheels dont bother me. Once I have done one the rest seem to be done before I realise what I have been doing. But I agree about gluing in Clear parts. I have actually never glued in one yet that I was 100% happy with.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 09:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Heh heh - me too! I spread mine out over several different days, so that I don't do it all at once, and get to work on something more fun in between. It helps beat the monotony.

Gunnie

Was about to reply myself, but as usual, Gunnie's beat me to a better answer!
I do the same as Gunnie does. I spread it out, and change to a different kit, or a different part of the same kit. For example, I've been working on several "baker's dozen" type projects. Just finished forty-eight (48) gerry cans (german), thirty-two (32) Tiger 1 road wheels, twenty-four (24) gerry cans (U.S.), twenty-four (24) Sd.Kfz7/1 road wheels, five (5) standard road tyres & four (4) non-standard road tyres w/ chains for my Steyr.
So.....I know the feeling.

Tread.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 10:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

i dislike link-to-link track, multi-part chassis, 2-part tank guns and stainless photoetch

Hey just about describe all the things I dislike.... :-) 2-part tank gun is a killer. Wouldn't it be nice if metal turned barrel WITH rifling PE sheet is enclosed in all the kits? I would mind paying a little extra for that. It's frustrating to shop around for them....

Oh another thing I also don't like is the waiting for the AM accessories for a kit that you really want to start to build.
 _GOTOTOP