_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Microwave
skink1007
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 5 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 07, 2012 - 05:19 AM UTC
Hello, I know a microwave is waaaaay off topic. I am a military modeler, with mediocre skills, thats why I came here for some advice (Hopefully) I am at my sister's house and the handle on her microwave is broken. It's still attached at the top, but not the bottom. It looks like they applied some sort of glue but it failed. I need advice on finding something to clean it off without melting it! LOL!! Once I get it cleaned off I'll need advice on what glue to use to put it back together. Like I said before I know this is way off topic, but being a modeler myself I knew to try you guys because it is made of plastic and that's what we deal with! Sorry if I'm wasting your time.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 07, 2012 - 06:17 AM UTC
I don't know what to clean it off with, but I imagine one of the JB Weld products would work to re-attach the handle.
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 6,965 Posts
KitMaker Network: 609 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 07, 2012 - 06:39 AM UTC
It depends whether the glue is soft or hard. If it's soft I'd do my best to cut it off with a modelling knife and then scrape off what's left. If it's hard, I'd Dremel it away.

Can you get the handle completely off? It would make it much easier to drill and pin the broken bit. Something like 5 minute epoxy would be a good glue.
 _GOTOTOP