_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Scratchbuilding for Dioramas.
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 8,227 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,502 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 06, 2012 - 01:58 AM UTC
Most of my stuff is either completely scratch or highly modified kits,plastic ,metal or mixed media.At present I am building a camera dolly for making motion pictures in HO scale which is to be included into my latest 1/24 scale diorama.
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, October 06, 2012 - 01:58 AM UTC

The dolly is made from old HO RR parts,now I will add some kind of a stand for the camera and a handle for pushing the dolly around.
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, October 06, 2012 - 09:45 PM UTC
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, October 06, 2012 - 09:50 PM UTC
Totally scratch building facades made for the 1/16th scale diorama "The Homecoming"soon to be on permanent display at the Canada Aviation and Space Museum in Ottawa.
It is made mostly from pine,bass,birch wood,foamboard and artist watercolor paper.
samkidd
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
entire network: 530 Posts
KitMaker Network: 60 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 08, 2012 - 07:23 AM UTC
From the photos it appears that you also have an interest in trains as well (G scale?). Hmmm...scratchbuilds in 1/24 scale, likes trains.....yep, I like you.

Seriously, your work looks really nice and I give you big points for scratchbuilding in the larger scales. In case you haven't, you might want to check out dollhouse miniatures websites. They have a great deal of detail items and building supplies in 1/24 and 1/12 scales that might be helpful. Amazing how a few of the right details can bring a load of scratchbuilding to life.

best of luck,
Jim
Large Scale Armory
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, October 08, 2012 - 12:35 PM UTC

Where you see the kleenex boxes is where I plan to put the saloon facade which will also become actors dressing rooms in the back.
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, October 08, 2012 - 12:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

From the photos it appears that you also have an interest in trains as well (G scale?). Hmmm...scratchbuilds in 1/24 scale, likes trains.....yep, I like you.

Seriously, your work looks really nice and I give you big points for scratchbuilding in the larger scales. In case you haven't, you might want to check out dollhouse miniatures websites. They have a great deal of detail items and building supplies in 1/24 and 1/12 scales that might be helpful. Amazing how a few of the right details can bring a load of scratchbuilding to life.

best of luck,
Jim
Large Scale Armory

Thank you ! Glad you like it.
samkidd
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
Posted: Monday, October 08, 2012 - 09:24 PM UTC
Great photo! One of the cool things about modeling in the larger scales is the way that their sheer size makes a huge statement and begs for attention. This dio looks to be loads of fun and really impressive. I'd love to see it when it's finished!

Jim
Large Scale Armory
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2012 - 12:44 AM UTC
Thanks Jim ! I plan to work on it as long as I can !
samkidd
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2012 - 10:05 PM UTC
Just a quick note, in case you missed it over on the other forums I'll soon be marketing G scale mannequins for use in dioramas like yours. They'll be especially useful to get figures in positions and styles not available anywhere.

There are two female types and one male mannequin, an assortment of highly detailed heads and hands and have quite a few shoe and boot options available. These will require gluing together into position and then sculpting the clothing or uniform onto the figure. Obviously they're not for everyone, but with a bit of work nearly anyone can make a great G scale figure positioned exactly the way they want. All the hard stuff is done, only the clothing need be sculpted by the individual.

And yes, being is how it is Large Scale Armory, there is a huge amount of weapons, boxes, bags, cargo etc. Most of the stuff is from the WWII era but there are also Winchesters, shotguns and generic revolvers to be had.

http://photobucket.com/LargeScaleArmory

Jim
Large Scale Armory
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 - 12:47 AM UTC
Hey Jim what a wonderful idea ! put me on your mailing list.
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 - 12:47 AM UTC
I am getting a little tired of making fences so I have started to do some serious research on old west facades and buildings and their construction techniques.
I will for the first two make the whole building as it will serve two purposes that of a facade and an actual dressing rooms for the actors.I first plan just to do the exteriors and use a sign to indicate what they are "Actors Dressing Rooms."
I will light them behind curtains and shades only but leave access to the interiors if I later want to add furnishings.I am already planning a second module, to be screwed to this one, containing the facades only.(next winter's project)Old west stuff seems to be pretty simple construction with few exterior decorations but lots of doors and windows, which is actually a plus for storyboarding using signs and stuff in the windows and doors for example.
samkidd
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 - 07:38 AM UTC
Yep. Love the old west theme and like your idea about the facades and rooms. Should turn out really cool. I've tried making a few building basics such as a brick wall, stucco wall and cobblestone street sections but so far they remain unfinished "filler" projects.

Hopefully someone will come up with large, cast building sections for G scale someday (that way I won't have too!) Until then I think I will continue to experiment with Grandt Line doors and windows and Stoneworks real stone pieces. Stoneworks also makes laser cut styrene windows and doors that are awesome! So far I have found these to be the most realistic.

Jim
Large Scale Armory
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2012 - 01:03 AM UTC

I am beginning to see some progress on my saloon facade/dressing rooms building.
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2012 - 01:56 AM UTC
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2012 - 12:38 AM UTC

The plywood is ground level,one level up is the future boardwalk that will be completed after the posts are in.
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2012 - 01:13 AM UTC
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2012 - 01:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yep. Love the old west theme and like your idea about the facades and rooms. Should turn out really cool. I've tried making a few building basics such as a brick wall, stucco wall and cobblestone street sections but so far they remain unfinished "filler" projects.

Hopefully someone will come up with large, cast building sections for G scale someday (that way I won't have too!) Until then I think I will continue to experiment with Grandt Line doors and windows and Stoneworks real stone pieces. Stoneworks also makes laser cut styrene windows and doors that are awesome! So far I have found these to be the most realistic.

Jim
Large Scale Armory

Hi Jim ! My stuff is really cheap,Chinese plywood,tongue depressors ,coffee stir sticks of various sizes,a little scale lumber,and a few washes of paint.Total cost probably four bucks.It's not that I am a cheap sake but I just love doing it this way.
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 - 12:58 AM UTC
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2012 - 04:07 AM UTC

Another pic
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2012 - 04:08 AM UTC
Facade side weathered with no rust because of the desert environment.On the other hand there is a little rust on the RR car because it traveled around in it's past history.Lettering and final weathering will be done just prior to completion of the diorama.
Prop construction side made of simulated plywood sheets.
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2012 - 04:09 AM UTC
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2012 - 04:12 AM UTC
James Banner you should have a private message waiting for you Cheers!
SoumiArbs
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 90 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2012 - 09:43 AM UTC
I like your camera dolly for video. I think I'll make a short track section from the scrap of my ho days, and convert and old ore car to a camera dolly. Thanks for the idea, it'll be handy on my larger 1/35 WWII dio.
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2012 - 10:57 PM UTC
Happy you like it David.Please send me a pic when it is done.Cheers ! John.
 _GOTOTOP