_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Newb Needs Help with Airbrush choice
Admonition
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2012 - 10:59 AM UTC
Okay so I'm pretty new to this hobby (about a year), and after weeks of stalking this forum I've decided I'd join and post. I have two complete models (one with a diorama by Miniart I just finished) under my belt. I absolutely love this hobby and plan to continue to do models for years to come. That being said, I have been using only brushes for my models and I would like to make the jump into air brushing. My intent for this, other than the simplicity of solid coats, would be finer details and cammo patterns.

I've done a little research and I believe I would like to have an airbrush that is double action and gravity fed. That being said, I also intend to utilize a 'table top' compressor.

As such, I would like to stay within the $300 range for my setup. I've done some research on models meeting my basic requirements, but with everything out there I feel lost in what to choose. I was hoping you all, with your experience with these products, could help me narrow my field on what would be a good purchase and what I should stay away from.

Any and all help is welcome, thank you so much!
Admonition
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 2 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2012 - 11:35 AM UTC
Actually, let me edit my original post by saying I've been leaning toward the Iwata Smart Jet Compressor and the Iwata Eclipse HP-CS airbrush. But again, I have no personal experience with any of these items
HawkeyeV
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 319 Posts
KitMaker Network: 184 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2012 - 01:44 AM UTC
All of the major airbrush manufacturers make good products. You might want to also consider Grex Airbrushes. They not only produce the Tritium Series with a pistol grip but also conventional types as well and compressors.

As part of an online contest, we're giving a combo set away.

I have several airbrushes in my collection, Paasche, Iwata, Binks, Badger and Grex. Both in single action and double, gravity and siphon. I tend to use my Grex Tritium more because it is so comfortable in my hand.
Supe-BFG
Visit this Community
Northern Territory, Australia
entire network: 3 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 - 11:42 PM UTC
Is noise a criteria for you? If you're planning on airbrushing when it is quiet, you may want to consider a 'silent' air compressor. I recently ordered a Sparmax AT-350A which alleges sound output at 45db. I'd have paid extra if I was able to buy a Silentaire Super Sil-Air 20A (product brochure) which is rated at 30db but unfortunately, they are not available here.

didgeboy
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,846 Posts
KitMaker Network: 208 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2012 - 04:25 PM UTC
If noise isn't an issue and you do not have an issue with humidity then Campbell hausfeld makes an affordable compressor, all you need is a moisture trap, te nice thing is it has more applications than just your brush. As for brush, invest what you can afford into a good brush that you know will last. You will outgrow this at some point, but it should last at east 5 to 10 years. eBay is a great place for good used brushes but check out your LHS first and see what they offer and can tell you. Te nice thing buying locally is if you have a problem they will usually know how and often will, fix it. Cheers.
 _GOTOTOP