_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Drinks are on me
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 2,832 Posts
KitMaker Network: 680 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 07:52 PM UTC
I made Major, Whoo Hoo| |) sorry had to say that. oh yeah, does anyone know a good easy way to make 1:35 picket fences? cheers
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 08:29 PM UTC
why not use cocktail sticks with then ends removed or you can whittle them down to the size you need or failing that use some plasti-struct they have long retangular pieces which you could cut down to size
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 08:36 PM UTC
good idea, thnx Kike, but what are cocktail sticks, are they like toothpicks? would they be suitable for 1/35 scale though?
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 01:06 AM UTC
There is an old Tamiya kit, don't have the number off the top of my head, that has nothing but sign posts and such in it. It includes a section of picket fence. It's very cheap, like $5 USD. You could use that as a guide and then make your own from it. One thing you could use is popisicle sticks, sorry I don't know what you would call them "down under." You can split these and cut them down to the size you'd want.
penkala
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 214 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 01:17 AM UTC
Major congratiolations, sir
TempExp
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 148 Posts
KitMaker Network: 106 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 07:29 AM UTC
Congrats.

As far as the picket fence thing...

I've been working on putting a fence in one of my projects, so I measure a real one then converted it to scale. I went down to the craft store and bought strips of balsa (I think). They come in think plants, several feet long and are only about .30 cents or so, depending on the size. I got some square ones for the posts, then some planks for the cross beams on my fence. I think the total cost was under $1. I just cut them to length and glue them together. Works pretty well, and with so many sizes available, it makes it convenient.
tek2
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 156 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 11:04 AM UTC
I would think that using Evergreen Styrene plastic strips would be perfect for picket fence building. It seems the right scale, and easy to glue. A good white or wood grain paint job, and it's finished!
Good Modeling!
daredevil
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 54 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 03:21 PM UTC
You can also try some wooden kitchen matchsticks. You can file the tops to a point. Or try some thin strips of basswood--that stuff is awesome for all kinds of detailing projects. Look at a real fence, then scale it (I use a CTT 1/35 scale ruler-- If you don't have a scale ruler, just use a completed figure for size relation). Working with basswood that small only requires a sharp knife & some glue (white works fine--especially the super tacky craft glue).
Good luck!
--daredevil
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 06:08 PM UTC
Thanks guys, i think i will go with Halfyanks, althought they would all work, and are all pretty much the same, oh we call them icy pole sticks here, well at least most of us do i think (popsicles are icy poles) cheers, and thanks for the help!
regards, MAJOR lestweforget, heheheheh, cheers
 _GOTOTOP