_GOTOBOTTOM
User Support
Having a problem with the site? Post it here.
Homepage: Black on dark gray - unreadable
LonCray
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 348 Posts
KitMaker Network: 31 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2012 - 08:27 AM UTC
Good afternoon! For the past week or two, my Armorama homepage is black letters on a really dark gray background, and I can't find where to change the settings ('Settings' doesn't have any display options I can find). I can't read Reviews, Walkarounds, Group Builds, or much of anything on the front page besides 'In Forums' and 'In Photo Features' (which are black on white) and ads. Where's the display options fix? Thanks!
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2012 - 08:40 AM UTC
Hi Lee,
Sorry to hear that. I can only guess you are using a browser or operating system that is really different than the norm. What browser and os are you using? And the version numbers?

That will help me test and fix the issue.

Thanks,
Jim
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,971 Posts
KitMaker Network: 568 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2012 - 08:50 AM UTC
Jim

I have that same issue when I am at work, and we are still using WinXP and IE 7. I have no issues on Chrome, IE 9, or Firefox. I believe it would have to do with new Document Model or Style Sheets objects not being understood by much older IE 7.

Kevin
LonCray
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2012 - 08:52 AM UTC
I'm also WinXP Pro and IE7.0. I don't have the option of a different browser or OS here, unfortunately. Thanks for checking on this!
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2012 - 08:58 AM UTC
I have a pc with XP here, but it's more likely an IE7 issue. I will try emulating it to see if I can get it to replicate the issue.

Thanks,
Jim
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2012 - 09:09 AM UTC
If you CTRL + F5 I think I fixed it. It is something about IE7 using Quirks mode. I feel the frustration with companies sticking with (now) 6 year old technology. Heck there are a few sad souls out there using IE6, which is now ELEVEN YEARS OLD people. Upgrade for goodness sake.

Cheers,
Jim
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2012 - 09:56 AM UTC
I suppose my 10-year old car is overdue for replacement, then...

How old does a computer program need to be before it goes from "old" to "classic"?

(Seriously though, I know the pace of tech development makes even last year's software a liability!)

Tom
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2012 - 10:17 AM UTC
IE 6 actually had serious security problems and Microsoft made serious efforts to get everyone off of it around 2007/8. With the rapidly changing tech now though I wouldn't be trying to use a browser or OS that is more than 1 version back. So IE 8 and Windows Vista for Windows users. The issue with most modern software is that they are designed to use more and more memory over their pre-64bit counterparts. So if you try to use that software with older systems... no so good.

Cheers,
Jim
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,971 Posts
KitMaker Network: 568 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2012 - 10:40 AM UTC
Jim

I work for the Federal Government here is Canada, and while technology moves relatively fast, the government does not. We currently have a project on going to upgrade to Win7 with IE9, but Win8 and IE 10 will be out before we even finish the project. And I understand your frustration, because we deal with it on an ongoing basis when trying to buy and implement new software. We still have a MAJOR application we are TRYING to support that was written in VB6, with no new plans at all to look at an upgrade.

Kevin
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2012 - 07:31 PM UTC
My wife uses a program to interface with Medicare and it looks like something from 1987. And these people want to take over our entire health care sector. Ugg...

Jim
LonCray
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 - 01:31 AM UTC
Woohoo - it's fixed! Thanks Jim. I also work for a government, and we've been trying to upgrade to Win7 and a newer IE, but we've got several legacy programs that can't run in Win7. While I sympathize with the programmer desire that we all use the latest and greatest, it's simply not possible everywhere.
 _GOTOTOP