_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Dragon's new Jeep, Opinions ????
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,023 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2012 - 05:44 PM UTC
Happy weekend all !
Has anybody built one of Dragon's Jeeps? I just saw that they are releasing a Jeep&Trailer with a crew. I read some negative things about the Cyber Hobby SAS jeep, fit issues. So has anybody buit the armored version ? I figure the new version to be the armored one but with a trailer & a windshield.
Thanks in advance !
Tom
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2012 - 08:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Happy weekend all !
Has anybody built one of Dragon's Jeeps? I just saw that they are releasing a Jeep&Trailer with a crew.
Tom

Where did you see that?

Bronco are releasing a new tooled jeep, trailer and crew- the last jeep DML announced is the armoured on with twin bazookas
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2012 - 12:08 AM UTC
It is Bronco who is coming out with the new Jeep w/Airborne Crew and trailer. It will be the first time the Ford GPW has been kitted in 1/35 as well.

Dragon's Armored Jeep is slightly better than their SAS Jeep, but still has issues.

Here are reviews of them.

SAS Jeep

Armored Jeep

Hopefully Bronco's will be nice and accurate. If it is up to par with their other offerings, it should be great.

Currently, the Tamiya Willys MB kit is the best jeep kit on the market.

Tamiya Willys MB review.
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,023 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2012 - 04:04 AM UTC
OOOOOOppppsss... Thanks Gino ! Sorry Pat ! My screw up ! I saw it on Dragon's weekly New Releases Newsletter.
zemzero
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 177 Posts
KitMaker Network: 38 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 06, 2012 - 09:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It is Bronco who is coming out with the new Jeep w/Airborne Crew and trailer. It will be the first time the Ford GPW has been kitted in 1/35 as well.

Hmmm, whats the difference between the Willys and the Ford GPW? Is the Ford GPW just a late war version? I sort of thought they were the same thing actually.
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
entire network: 3,098 Posts
KitMaker Network: 899 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 06, 2012 - 09:58 AM UTC
Cool. You can never have enough Jeep kits.

On another note.....is it just me or does the passenger in the Jeep on the Bronco Jeep with trailer and Airborne Crew kit box art strike a close resemblance to John Wayne in the movie "The Longest Day"?

Randy
jafad
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 230 Posts
KitMaker Network: 38 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 07, 2012 - 07:02 AM UTC
Hi Randy I'm glad it's not just me that thought he looked like John Wayne
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,184 Posts
KitMaker Network: 356 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 07, 2012 - 09:18 AM UTC
Sorry folks, but John Wayne has left the building. Nice looking though.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 07, 2012 - 10:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmmm, whats the difference between the Willys and the Ford GPW? Is the Ford GPW just a late war version? I sort of thought they were the same thing actually.

Ford was given a contract to license build their version after Willy's couldn't keep up with the full demand required by the US Govt. The Willys MB and Ford GPW were made at the same time through out WWII.

The GPW wasn't that much different, but it did have some different features. The most noticable was the front frame cross-member under the grill. On the Willys MB, a tubular piece is used, while an inverted "U" is used on the GPW. Also, Ford instituted the familiar stamped grill that was also adopted by Willys. The other noticable difference is on the lids for the toolboxes located on either side of the rear seat. The Willys MB uses a plain flat cover whereas the Ford GPW has an embossed lid. It looks like Bronco captured all these features in their CAD flyer. Hopefully, the model will have them all as well.
jowady
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 115 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 07, 2012 - 11:29 AM UTC
It probably won't show anywhere on the kit but Ford supposedly marked every piece. It seems that the Jeeps had a full warranty, anything breaks and Willys or Ford would replace it but old man Ford wasn't about to replace a Willys part. I saw that on the History Channel so it must be true.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 07, 2012 - 11:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It probably won't show anywhere on the kit but Ford supposedly marked every piece. It seems that the Jeeps had a full warranty, anything breaks and Willys or Ford would replace it but old man Ford wasn't about to replace a Willys part. I saw that on the History Channel so it must be true.

Yup, its true. A buddy of mine restored a '43 GPW and he went nuts trying to find all the Ford parts for it. Everything Ford made was marked with a script "F", even down to every bolt.

_GOTOTOP