_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Canada
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Warplane Heritage Museum Hamilton
raypalmer
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,151 Posts
KitMaker Network: 100 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2012 - 02:45 PM UTC
Went round there last weekend.

They are getting better. Boy they're going to need another hangar soon, too many aircraft have to be parked outside, and you have to wait around for a tour guide to take you outside!

Apart from the old codger volunteers loudly announcing that the pods on the CF-100's wingtips are fuel tanks to anyone who'll listen (I'm not about to correct him.) it's xanadu in Hamilton.

Thoughts? Anyone going to their scale model event this summer?
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 6,965 Posts
KitMaker Network: 609 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2012 - 04:37 AM UTC
Well to be fair to the old codger, Clunks often did carry tip tanks, and in actual fact, from the photos I can find, theirs does have tip tanks since it's a Mk.5D EW version. Here's a picture of it from the early '80s when it was still flying. For comparison, this is a pair of clunks with rocket pods.

I wish I could go to the show, but there's this inconvenient little matter of too much geography between here and Hamilton.
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 2,847 Posts
KitMaker Network: 31 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2012 - 05:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Went round there last weekend.

They are getting better. ...

Thoughts? Anyone going to their scale model event this summer?

Richard,

Ummm, I don't know of any model show at the museum this summer! Their 2012 show (HeritageCon 6) was held this past Feb. 12 and the 2013 show (HeritageCon 7) is scheduled for Mar. 3rd, 2013. You can find all the information about it at the IPMS Hamilton: HeritageCon 2013 site.

The museum is super great and the show is really something to experience. They move all the planes out of the centre section of the first hangar that you enter but leave several around the outer edges. Here's a picture from the HertitageCon 5 show.

The vendors are along the wall in the back behind the aircraft and also along the wall to the left by the entrance. IIRC, there were over 400 models entered in the show that year.

Cheers,
Jan
 _GOTOTOP