TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Arnhem Victoria Cross
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 08:31 AM UTC
Hi

On BBC 2 tonight at 21:00 is The Victoria Cross: For Valour. Major Robert Cain's VC is researched in detail. Sounds good!

Quoted from the BBC's site:

"In September 1944, Major Robert Cain won what was described as the finest Victoria Cross of the Second World War.

To find out exactly what Cain did to win his medal, Jeremy Clarkson travels to the scene of the battle, meets eyewitnesses and talks to military experts. Along the way, the fascinating story behind the world's highest award for valour is slowly revealed, and through archive accounts and living recipients, Clarkson tries to discover just what it takes to be a VC winner."

Cokes
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 119 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 09:56 AM UTC
What excatly did Cain do to be awarded the VC?
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 08:44 PM UTC
cokes,
Should be what he didnt do took on tigers firing piat from the hip they reckon he took out about 6 whislt blind in one eye covered in wounds and held of counter attacks hee survived the war as well best do a google search to find out more he was one brave man
Cokes
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 119 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 01:32 AM UTC
Just read up on him Mikeli - amazing story; it's amazing what some people can achieve in such dire situations and a great example.

Another amazing story is that of kiwi Sir Charles Upham, the ony combatant soldier to win the VC twice.

http://www.nzedge.com/heroes/upham.html
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 07, 2003 - 04:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What excatly did Cain do to be awarded the VC?

Read about it here:

http://www.marketgarden.com/new/vc/vc2.htm

Three things really stood out (for me) in this programme, namely:

Jeremy Clarkson (narrator) is married to Cain’s daughter.

Quoted from Jeremy Clarkson: “His (Cain’s) daughter didn’t even know he’d won a Victoria Cross until after he’d died. He never thought to mention it.”

One that truly hit home “We’ve a rather warped sense of what constitutes bravery these days. I mean, even David Beckham is called a hero for scoring a penalty.”

Read about the programme here:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,584-880279,00.html

For the participants of RMG there were some really good photos, will see if I can 'capture them'!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 07:26 AM UTC
It blows me away frequently to read what some of the VC and MOH winners did. The guy that crawled out on the wing of his bomber to put out a fire, the guy that carried an activated phosphorous bomb to the bomb bay and dropped it out. All those guys shot to peices and yet hanging on to get guys out of trouble or be the last one out or simply hold the planesteady till everyone else gets out knowing you are not going to survive or the one that ordered his sub to crash dive with him still on the outside. The few that survive actually seemed to be humbled by the experience. I think Audie Murphey is the only one who "exploited" his...and I think that cameas an after thought...he initially wanted an Army career
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 07:57 AM UTC
I watched that show that bloke was unreal, what about the gurkha in a forward postion gets attacked by two hundred japs who throw grenades into his fox hole,so he throws them back till one blows his hand off and most of his forearm, so he carries on fighting by firing a lee enfield .303 single handed, when he gets rescued they find 32 dead japs around his position.