_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Inexpensive Resin Supplies?
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
entire network: 1,083 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2012 - 03:27 AM UTC
Hi All,

I am interested in getting any info anyone may have about inexpensive resin raw materials. I have never used resin, ever, but I noted a very interesting thread about the Tamiya T-55 Enigma that suggested filling the side armor blocks with resin so that the individual blocks can be sawn apart, and still have solid sides between the blocks. I'd like to do that with my Enigma, but i don't have any resin materials, and the least expensive kits I saw on the MicroMark site, for example, was about $35.00. I don't expect that I'll be doing much, if any, resin work other than the above, so I'd rather not spend that kind of money on a one-shot use.

Does anyone know where I might be able to find resin materials that are less expensive? I don't need molds or measuring cups or anything like that, just the liquid resin stuff. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,355 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2012 - 05:56 AM UTC
Curt,

You could use a Hobby Lobby 40% Discount Coupon and get one of the following;

8-Ounce EasyCast Casting Epoxy

16-Ounce Amazing Casting Resin

16-Ounce EasyCast Clear Casting Epoxy

Or you could get a complete casting kit that would let you make molds, too;

8-Ounce Alumilite Mini Casting Kit

I haven't used any of these products yet, but I plan to purchase some to start making some parts myself.

I hope this helps. Good luck!
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
entire network: 1,083 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2012 - 07:16 AM UTC
Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the quick reply. Your response was exactly what i was looking for. We have a Hobby Lobby here in town that is literally right across the street from my favorite hobby shop, Hobby Town, so, a perfect excuse to go visit both. Thanks again!
 _GOTOTOP