_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Swastika display in Europe, Finnish too?
IrishGreek
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 627 Posts
KitMaker Network: 56 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2012 - 07:46 AM UTC
Tried to make the title fit, but had a hard time with it. In effect what I am asking is I understand that it is illegal to display the Swastika in Europe (the EU, I guess). I was curious if the Finnish version is also illegal? I know it is not identical, but I could see a lot of people thinking it is the same.

Sorry, I don't mean to offend, just trying to learn. What made me wonder was that I have seen two recent Tamiya armor kits focusing on the Stug and BT-42.

Thanks.
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 6,965 Posts
KitMaker Network: 609 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2012 - 08:00 AM UTC
I don't believe that it's an EU regulation, just national laws in some European countries, most notably Germany. I don't believe that a distinction is made; it's a blanket prohibition of any swastika with exceptions made for historical displays. Some modellers claim that their models are historic displays but since they're sold as toys the manufacturers must comply with the regulations and leave them off. Since manufacturers can't dictate which of their kits in a shipment go to which country, they often take the easy way out and leave them out of the kit entirely. After all, it's trivial for a dedicated modeller to get replacements, and an amateur won't care.
BlackWidow
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 1,732 Posts
KitMaker Network: 30 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2012 - 08:21 AM UTC
Hi John,
this question is a bit difficult to answer but I will try to. By law all types of swastikas (German, Finnish, Estonian), SS-runes and other NS-signs are forbidden to show in public only in Germany. We have §§86 and 86a in our Strafgesetzbuch (criminal code) for that. So e.g. it is not allowed to show a Messerschmitt Bf 109 with swastikas on expos in Germany. If you show them you might get prosecuted and also the organizer of the expo! That means also non-Germans! Just take a small piece of paper or adhesive strip and hide it and no one will argue. That's why Revell Germany doesn't have them on their decal sheets. Some other kit manufacturers have followed this from time to time, but some don't. Eduard, Trumpeter or Hobby Boss often have two half swastikas in their decals which you just have to put together.
In other european countries, like Switzerland, France, UK, BeNeLux, Skandinavia (Finland of course!) you don't have this problem at all.
On the other hand swastikas in public in Germany are allowed in museums (e,g. the Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-6 at the Technical Museum in Speyer) and in movies (e.g. "Graf Stauffenberg" with Tom Cruise). Oh, and on original historic photos from the time of the 3. Reich.
I hope I've shed some light in your darkness. It's not an easy matter I know and sometimes we here in Germany get confused, too.

Happy modelling!
Torsten
ejasonk
Visit this Community
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
entire network: 314 Posts
KitMaker Network: 11 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2012 - 08:37 AM UTC
That question is actualy not that clear in Germany...
If it's historic information, then it's not forbidden. You even see the swastika on TV in comedy shows in Germany.

The situation decides if it's legal or not.
BlackWidow
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 1,732 Posts
KitMaker Network: 30 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2012 - 08:57 AM UTC
True, but comedy on TV counts as "art" (whatever art that may be ...... ) and if it's art the swastika is okay, just as in movies. Model kits are classified as "toys" and there it is not allowed. No exception. For me as vice president of a modellers club this § is clear enough .....
IrishGreek
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 627 Posts
KitMaker Network: 56 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2012 - 09:24 AM UTC
I understand the sensitivity, and that is one of the things that made me post this. I was looking at a Tamiya Finn Stug and debating it, because I am not real fond myself of the Swastika on my models because of what it stands for now.

But I am okay that most German WWII armor doesn't seem to show the Swastika, usually only the balkenkreuz.

I guess that shows I am a little 'muddied' too! Thanks for taking the time to answer.

John
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2012 - 09:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I understand the sensitivity, and that is one of the things that made me post this. I was looking at a Tamiya Finn Stug and debating it, because I am not real fond myself of the Swastika on my models because of what it stands for now.

The Finnish version of the Swastika predates it's use by Germany and it was in use on ceremonial items such as mayors chains of office until the late sixties and is still in use on the Finnish Airforce flag. In Finnish use it has no nazi connotations at all
 _GOTOTOP