_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Paint rack
terrybarrett
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 195 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2012 - 05:46 PM UTC
Hey Guys,

Thought I'd show you a paint rack I slapped together this weekend. I used to have all my paints in small plastic drawer type organizers and could never find what I needed. I looked on line, and what I found was too small and too expensive, so I decided to design and build my own.

I use some office cubicles and drawer and top storage bins for my workshop (got it all free from craigslist!)

So I decided to put my rack in one of the up top storage bins for the paint rack. Measured it out, planned the rows for diff brands of paint and knocked this out of (2) 2x3 foot pieces of MDF board. Used a table saw to cut the shelves, a drill press with various spade bits for the paint holes, and a jigsaw to cut the stairstep "stringers". Now I can see all my paints and find whatever color I need!

Hope somebody finds this idea useful!

Terry
Raleigh, NC

skyshark
Visit this Community
entire network: 703 Posts
KitMaker Network: 193 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2012 - 11:22 PM UTC
Where exactly did you get your cubicals I know you said they didn't cost that much in a past post.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2012 - 01:59 AM UTC
I like it !!! Nice idea
terrybarrett
Visit this Community
entire network: 195 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2012 - 03:01 AM UTC
Thanks! I got them from an office that was getting new ones. Found the ad on craigslist, borrowed a buddy's p/u and they just had everything in a storage room, said take whatever you want! Got the desks, cubicles, drawer units, top cabinets, lights, and bulletin boards. plus all the hardware. The cubicle walls hold a magnet too, so I can hold instructions, references, and even some magnetic shelves I got at Northern tool! Bought the task chairs from an office warehouse for $20 a piece. Perfect for the tiny room I have!
 _GOTOTOP