_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
E books for Osprey Publications and others
Wingtsun
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 295 Posts
KitMaker Network: 34 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2012 - 04:13 AM UTC
Does anyone have experience using the Kindle e-book reader in relation to the Osprey Publications? I buy a lot of Osprey books and storage is becoming a problem. The basic Kindle is black and white display only (?) and there is the higher end Kindle Fire models that have colour. The Osprey Campaign series have colour plates. One thing i found annoying with the softcover Osprey Campaign books, the spine covers parts of some two page maps. I am also hoping to get an E Reader to read text books, comic books and magazines.
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,971 Posts
KitMaker Network: 568 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2012 - 05:45 AM UTC
Tony

I read the Osprey books through the Kobo app on my Asus tablet, and I like it. And it is nice to have a collection of books when I go places.

Kevin
Wingtsun
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2012 - 10:15 AM UTC
Kevin,
What model of Asus tablet do you own?

I have been asking friends about this same question (they are not modellers) and they sugggested to me to think beyond buying an EReader. My friends suggest getting a tablet (like an iPad) instead.
Wingtsun
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 02:02 PM UTC
Just a follow up to my post from last year and hope this will be helpful to anyone else who wondered about this.

I got myself an Amazon Kindle Paperwhite tablet recently and also downloaded a free Kindle reader app from Amazon site. For those who live near the Canada USA border it is cheaper to buy the tablet from Amazon USA site and ship your order to a mailbox in the USA and pick up later. Lucky me I had a buddy whose company had a Pt Roberts mail box and he picked up the parcel for me. I saved myself maybe $25 buying the device like this.

I purchased a handful of Osprey publishing books thru Amazon.ca I found the drawback of using a Kindle tablet to read is the maps are cut into 4-6 sections in order to fit the small tablet screen. The black/white pictures show up clearly (even better on the pc). I am happy with this compromise since it saves me storage space and some money.
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,971 Posts
KitMaker Network: 568 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 02:25 PM UTC
Sorry I missed your question, I have an Asus Transformer II, and as I mentioned, Osprey books are great on it and in color. The only option I would like to see is a zoom function for the images.

_GOTOTOP