_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Airbrush Options
leader
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 110 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2002 - 02:18 AM UTC
Hello fellas

Upon a recent demonstration at a local hobby shop I have fallen in love with airbrushes. Once I saw the effects that could be achieved with one I was convinced I had to buy one to get the results I wanted. Well as we speak I still cant afford one, but I swa in 2/3 months I'll have the fiscal power to puchase one. Thats where you guys come in...

I'm not sure which airbrush and compressor to purchases. Therefore I thought it best to ask what brush and compressor the people on these forums use ???

Thanks
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2002 - 02:40 AM UTC
Prepare for some do's and dont's then....

My advise: Double action, Compressor with a moisture trap and regulated pressure. As far as the gun is concerned...Try before you buy. Go to a store who offers a whole range of them guns and take 'm all in your hand. Try to make "dry runs" and buy whatever suits you best.
Weezul
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 151 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2002 - 03:24 AM UTC
I've seen a lot about those Ateks... Has anyone used one of them before?
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 1,088 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2002 - 03:45 AM UTC
Iīve been very happy with my double-action Badger 150. Itīs a real all-around airbrush, you can have many different kinds of cups and tips for it.
Iīve painted both 5x3 m walls and model kits with it!
I have a Sagola777 compressor, DONīT BUY IT!(Unless you want to buy mine )

Toni
Gulf11
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 166 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2002 - 04:33 AM UTC
I would suggest you start with the Badger 150 Internal mix airbrush. These can be bought at Curry's art supplies in Canada. I suggest Curry's because they seem to be a little better priced than those in a hobby store. Once you have used a airbrush for awhile you may want to upgrade. I would suggest moving to an Iwata HPB. These airbrushes do most of what you will ever need in modelling with superior results. These too are available at Curry's. Personally I wouldn't go for the Aztec but that is a matter of opinion.

Now for air. I use an old Badger compressor with auto off which works well but is a little noisy. My newest means of air is called an Air Pig available at Canadian Tire. You simple change the valve and you have a portable quiet air supply of 150Psi which will last several models. Buy a good regulator and moisture trap as well. Once this is all in line you're set. The complete setup of airbrush, tank and fixtures should cost you about 300.00 Canadian.

Contact me via email if you need any other info.
Sean
Michel
Visit this Community
France
entire network: 95 Posts
KitMaker Network: 33 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 03:41 PM UTC
I ' ve four airbrushes:
An old Humbrol ( kinda Badger 350 ), it ' s more a sprayer than anything else, but I use it to undercoatin' fantasy figs by the hundreds without cleanin' it ! It a tought little beast which could spray everything...Even clay sludge ! ( I know, I ' ve tried...! #:-)
A Paasche VLS, a good double-action, it needs careful cleanin' when usin' enamel paints, as most of the double-actions...
A Badger # 150 ( I didn' t NEED it, but...), as the Paasche...Must be cleaned, and nothing more to say...
My last bought, and lovely, AZTEC A470 ( with THE wooden box...Plus a lot of accessories: 5 nozzles, various cups & glass jars...). It ' s, for me, the best; very light, handy, " the nozzle system " ( you don' t bother about changin' and adjustin' long and fragile needdle...Take a new nozzle and prrresto...It ' s done ! ) is a must, and it doesn' t need to be clean' d at all...It ' s really great !
I ' ve a silent air-compressor ( JF-AIR # 20-S ), w / air tank and integrated moisture trap. My wife ( she ' s a professionnal painter ) and me, we both use them ( for the older ones ) for several years, now, without any troubles...But, to say the truth, I don' t use airbrush very often; the Pacific US armor doesn' t use garish camouflage like german ' s ones, and I prefere to weatherin' my models with brushes...
If I ' ve to make a choice, the AZTEC ' ll be the first, then the Paasche / Badger....And the SILENT ( not the less expensive BUT horribly noisy diaphragm one ! ) compressor is, definitely, a must !
' ve a nice day...!
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 08:10 PM UTC
I use a Badger 175, it came with three tips and a nice hose and all the assecories.
I use Cambell compressor with tank
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?cat=51199&dept=5428&product_id=4021&path=0%3A5428%3A51199%3A4093%3A3915%3A4338
(Not to plug Walmart - but that's a link to show you what it it).

All I can say is -- LOVE IT!!!

If you can't go with the tank I would look for a moisture trap. It'll stop excess moisture buildup due to condensation and save you spattering on your last pass of an awsome three color camo scheme!
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 602 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 08:12 PM UTC
stick with badger
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 455 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 10:23 PM UTC
The Testors/Aztek. That's it; all you'll ever need. I've owned Badger 350 single actions, a Paashce VL1 dual action, and now the Testors. The latter is the winner hands down. The interchangable nozzles make adjusting spray patterns easy and clean-up easier. If it gets a little too grungy, drop it in a jar of lacquer thinner for a few days. And replacing worn tips is inexpensive.

As for compressors, can't offer a brand name as mine is ages old. But some things to look for are an automatic shut-off feature if pressure builds up while you aren't spraying. This greatly extends the life of the unit. Also, as mentioned, best of all if the compressor feeds a tank with a moisture trap and regulator to dial pressure up or down as needed. I might suggest looking at a professional industrial paint supplier for one of their small portable units intended for contractors. Is it overkill? Sure. But it will be so understressed in this application that it will be a lifetime purchase. About eight years ago I recommended this to a friend returning to modeling after many years; he had the money to capitalize everything all at once. He has never regretted getting the commercial compressor/tank combination.
Greg
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 10:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The Testors/Aztek. That's it; all you'll ever need. I've owned Badger 350 single actions, a Paashce VL1 dual action, and now the Testors. The latter is the winner hands down. The interchangable nozzles make adjusting spray patterns easy and clean-up easier. If it gets a little too grungy, drop it in a jar of lacquer thinner for a few days. And replacing worn tips is inexpensive.

As for compressors, can't offer a brand name as mine is ages old. But some things to look for are an automatic shut-off feature if pressure builds up while you aren't spraying. This greatly extends the life of the unit. Also, as mentioned, best of all if the compressor feeds a tank with a moisture trap and regulator to dial pressure up or down as needed. I might suggest looking at a professional industrial paint supplier for one of their small portable units intended for contractors. Is it overkill? Sure. But it will be so understressed in this application that it will be a lifetime purchase. About eight years ago I recommended this to a friend returning to modeling after many years; he had the money to capitalize everything all at once. He has never regretted getting the commercial compressor/tank combination.
Greg

i have heard the aztek doesnt work well with some paints
Nailz
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 57 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 11:03 PM UTC
I am an airbrush newbie as well, but I've been very happy with my Iwata BCS, it uses only one needle, no need to change betwen 3 of them as it makes lines from very fine to very broad. I have also heard good things about the Badger Anthem.

As for a compressor, like others have said, get something with a regulator and a moisture trap and all will be good.

The best deals I have found so far have been at http://www.dixieart.com/ plus they ship for free on larger orders. Good luck with your decision!
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 269 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 11:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've seen a lot about those Ateks... Has anyone used one of them before?

Hi Nick, there's alot of mixed feelings about this AB. Some like it and
some don't. My brother bought one, and wasn't as pleased as he thought
he would be.
I have the double-action Iwata Eclipse HP-BCS and Campbell/Hausfeld FP2003
Air Compressor w/Air-Tank .
The compressor has gauges to read the psi in the tank and regulator/gauge for manual control of psi. Even though the compressor is advertised as 115-125 psi, it actually only goes to 95 - 100 psi.
But I love my set-up and it has performed flawlessly !
Leader if you do a search here on ArmoramA you can find a load of
post & replies that should help you in making a decision, due to other modelers
who have asked the same question's.

- ralph
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 11:24 PM UTC
I have been using a Testors/Aztek for a number of years and light it a lot. It is light and easy to clean. There were initially problems spraying acrylics, however, a new nozzle designed for acrylics has solved that problem. I use a 20-lb CO2 bottle with regulator for pressure. CO2 is dry, requires no water trap, is completely silent and requires no electricity. Refills are cheap.
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 269 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 11:29 PM UTC
Here ya go Leader, in regards to my 1st reply.
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=PostBoard&file=search&sortby=&req=result&page=3&srchfid=all&srchuname=&srchterms=any&srchtxt=airbrushes%20and%20compressors&srchin=both

- ralph
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 455 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 11:46 PM UTC
Scott commented about the Aztek not working with some paints...I'll plead ignorance here; all I use are Model Master, Humbrol, or Xtracolor enamels. Never tried acrylics. Some posts above suggest that early problems with those paints and the Aztek have been solved but I don't have first-hand knowledge. As they say in the car biz, your mileage may vary...
Greg
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 12:14 AM UTC
OH GOODIE I finally get to chime in on something I really like and own;
SCOTT; I have the AZTEK Contempo Airbrush and the AIRMASTER PLUS Compressor. Both are Excellent Choices and work extremely well together. I have been using them together for about 4 months and have no complaints. SO you should check them out too; The Contmepo is a Double Action and the Compressor is a self contained unit, Cost very little and does not need any extra items to macke it work. Plus it's low noise level and fits very nicely under your table or where ever you want to or need to place it. So check them out while your looking around. Best of luck in your desision.

DAGGER-1 "When Science Fails, Brute Force WIns"
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 04:52 AM UTC
hey i was just passing along something the guy at the hobby shop told me when i was shopping for an air brush.he talked me out of it
leader
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 110 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 06:26 AM UTC
To everyone

Thanks for all your help, I just wanted to gain some public feedback before going out and making an expensive purchase.

Thanks
 _GOTOTOP