_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Made my own Decals!
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2002 - 12:59 AM UTC
I just made my own decals for the first time last night. I bought the Micro-Mark clear decal film and spray-over. I also purchased the US Military Stencil font (I will send anyone who wants it the URL). Using my Epson 740 I printed the my markings for my M-60 on plain paper first, then on the decal film, oversprayed it, waited an hour and then cut and applied them. Yeah, i screwed up some, I am awful whenit comes to applying decals) but they look great!!

So, you do NOT need an Alps printer... Just follow the instructions carefully and you will have an unlimited supply of decals.

The article on decals on the site is great for information on how to do graphics for those of us who are Photo-shop challenged (like me).

:-) :-) :-)
Weezul
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 151 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2002 - 01:38 AM UTC
Neat... If you need any graphics work, I'll see what I can do with Photoshop for ya.
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2002 - 05:42 AM UTC
Great job. I just picked up some of the stuff at half price but I got the stuff thats white (I would rather have the clear but it was half off, what the heck). I have been a little chicked about trying it but you have inspired me. I won't have time for about a week but I will give it a try.

You should right an article on this method for the web site. I think it would be a huge asset. I am sure a lot of poeple have thought about doing this but think its to hard. If you put up an article everyone could see that its not as bad as they think. Plus you get entered in the contest! Just a thought, thanks for the info.
Weezul
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2002 - 07:45 AM UTC
This would be useful for those kits that don't have swatikas... Although I suppose you could just by some aftermarket decals anyways.
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 649 Posts
KitMaker Network: 261 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2002 - 11:15 AM UTC
That's great Nick, I hve been wondering how well the DIY decals work on an inkjet. I have an ALPS and have done some numbers that I needed, but the printer developed banding problems and I can't use it anymore.
BTW, I know that MS Office has a couple of "stencil" TrueType fonts. Does the font you got resemble the TrueType font?
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2002 - 11:34 AM UTC
I have made a little graphic with the font.

This a different font. I found the Stencil font. No, it is not the same at all. It only cost $16.00 to purchase the font... now I have it forever.

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=showMyPhoto&albumID=39100071&photoID=39137789&security=prypIb

Copy and paste the above into your browser. I tested it.

I hope this works. Yes, I will get something written up about it...

TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
entire network: 1,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 562 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2002 - 04:02 PM UTC
Hi

I have found a site with some military fonts - TLai.

They are not freeware or shareware and must be bought.
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2002 - 08:15 PM UTC
Can you post a link to the site with the decal set? I could think of a few uses for it! :-)

BTW, Dragoon. I tried the link, but it didn't work. It appears that I'm not the owner of the album.

YodaMan
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 01, 2002 - 02:16 PM UTC
Oops... I found out they will not let me do that now... rats... as for the decal font, see the previous message. That is where I bought mine and it works like a charm.

Here is the image I posted...
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 01, 2002 - 09:22 PM UTC
Great posts dude and does it do WW2 German crosses and stuff? Also Russian?
thanks
Jeff
Weezul
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 02:58 AM UTC
I don't think so... But as I said earlier, I could whip some stuff up in photoshop... You could do pre-weathered decals this way, too...
 _GOTOTOP