Hosted by Matt Leese
Iwata Eclipse?
usethermite
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 252 Posts
KitMaker Network: 42 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 02:10 PM UTC
I'm thinking about getting an Iwata Eclipse gravity-feed airbrush and I'm wondering how it compares to my Passche VL. Is it better? Easier to clean? I kown must guys and gals really like the Iwata line of airbrushes-- so will it be worth buying? All commemts are welcomed.
Happy Gluing, JT
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,971 Posts
KitMaker Network: 568 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 02:23 PM UTC
Ok, I have both, and the Iwata is much better, easier to clean, better paint control. I still use my Paasche VL for overall painting, clear coat (future), etc. I use my Iwata for detail, highlighting, shadow, camouflage, etc.

You will be VERY HAPPY with the Iwata.

usethermite
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 02:52 PM UTC
Thank's for the info, Kevin. I do believe I will get the Eclipse. Thanks, again.
Happy Gluing- and painting, JT
BigSmitty
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 597 Posts
KitMaker Network: 140 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2012 - 12:19 AM UTC
Totally agree with Kevin. I have the HP-CS and until a couple of weeks ago, it was my main brush. I have a Paasche H for the heavy duty stuff like large basecoats and clearcoats. The Iwata has just been replaced by a Grex Tritium TG.2. Still have the Iwata though. Can't find it in me to get rid of it...
usethermite
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2012 - 07:18 AM UTC
Hi, Matt. Yeah, I figure I need to improve my airbrushing skills, and in order to do that, I'll have to upgrade my tools. Thanks for the imput.
Happy Gluing, JT
Deerbill
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 45 Posts
KitMaker Network: 31 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 2012 - 04:53 AM UTC
One you should also look at is the Harder & Steenbeck Infinity 2n1. I upgraded from an old Paasche and love it. It is dual action, but has a trigger mechanism at the rear that you can set to control how much pull on the trigger thus controlling the amount of paint. Just a thought.
usethermite
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 2012 - 04:40 PM UTC
Howdy. Sounds interesting. Who carries the H&S?
Happy Gluing, JT
Deerbill
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 45 Posts
KitMaker Network: 31 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2012 - 04:48 AM UTC
You can see info on them at www.germanairbrush.com from that page they list several USA distributors. I think I ordered mine from Precision German Airbrush. I believe they were out of FL.
usethermite
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2012 - 05:09 AM UTC
Thanks for the info, Bill. I'll go to the site and see what's up. All the best.
n Happy Gluing, JT
DoogsATX
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 4 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 07, 2012 - 04:17 AM UTC
The Paasche VL is a venerable tool in its own right (slightly related - I've still got my old Paasche H and use it for big coats every so often) - but the Iwata HP-CS is worlds ahead of it.

I've used several airbrushes over the past few years, and to be honest, I keep coming back to the HP-CS and my HP-C+. They spray very well, clean very well (now that I'm using mostly Gunze lacquers, I'm finding that I don't even have to strip-clean the airbrushes after every session), parts are easy to find, and you can swap needles and nozzles (my HP-C+ is running a 0.2mm needle, and the Eclipse a 0.5mm out of the BR I believe).

I tried the Grex Tritium - it's a very nice airbrush, but the trigger design didn't agree with me at all and I found myself getting terrible hand cramps. I've considered picking up, what is it, the Genesis? Their standard-layout double-action. IMO the Grex cleans up a lot easier than the Iwata just due to the design of the paint cup.

I tried the Badger Patriot and Renegade Velocity and found them both crude next to the Iwatas, so I sold them.

The Harder & Steenbecks (I've got an Evolution Silverline and an Infinity) are very nice, very German-precise. Using one feels like rowing through gears on a fine German sports car. But I've found that they're prone to spitting, which neither Iwata ever does, and for close-in work where I need to put paint in a specific place (like, say, mottling camo), I've found I can work a lot faster with the Iwata since I don't have to pull it off the kit every time I want to press the trigger.

My two cents, though. I know people who swear by all of the above, even the Badgers that I didn't like. Very subjective thing, airbrushes...
usethermite
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 07, 2012 - 05:05 AM UTC
Hi, Matt. I think I'm going with the Iwata. Good price and it appears rather easy to clean. I notice you have the Fisher Cutlass. I have one also. One of my fav aircraft. I'll probably start on it sometime in the winter- maybe. The kit is a real jewel and looks to be great build. Just need to screw my courage up a notch to tackle it. Right now I'm waiting on the Fisher Ford (F4D). Another great choice by Fisher. He and his team are just amazing. All the best.
Happy Gluing, JT
DoogsATX
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 4 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 07, 2012 - 07:05 AM UTC
Well...I don't actually have it yet, but it should be reaching me any day. I'm going to build it for my dad as a Christmas gift. It's his favorite aircraft, and I was waffling over getting one of the sad 1/48 Cutlasses or picking something else in 1/32 when I decided screw it, he's my dad, he's totally worth it. Can't wait for it to arrive, but yeah, I'm a bit intimidated by laying into a $280 kit!
usethermite
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 07, 2012 - 07:24 AM UTC
Matt, once you get the Cutlass, you will be amazed at the detail and how "clean" the kit is. I couldn't find one sinkhole, pinhole, or what have. The bang seat, by itself, is great. A model unto its self. I just wish we had more choices in the way of decals. Oh, well, we can always either make our or use alot of masks! And, yeah, it's expensive, but you do get value for money. Now, I just wish Mr. Fisher would hurry-up with that FORD.
 _GOTOTOP