TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Last of Mohicans and Dances with Wolves
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 06:14 AM UTC
What a great old movie night on TV. History channel had Dances with Wolves and F/X had Last of Mohicans. Two great flics from the 90's. Back then we had stories not special effects. New movies are wonderful, but so much is computer imaging and blowing up stuff to cover up weak stories and even poorer acting abilities.
zer0_co0l
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
entire network: 1,432 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 06:21 AM UTC
I loved dances with wolves.
a long but very good movie here in holland they used 2 send it in 2 or 3 parts wich sucks. but you are right blaster poor acting and poor stories
but once in a while their is a good movie between all the bad once.

and watching a bad movie isnt that bad sometimes
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2003 - 06:12 AM UTC
I saw part of a documentary on protrayal of Aboriginal Americans in the movies on AMC a couple months back. At least some Aboriginal Americans view Kevin Costner's protrayal of Lt. Dunbar as a T.E. Lawrence for their people, i.e. a white man come with "white man's burden" to save the savage from himself. I hapen to disagree with this view, seeing more as the white man being retaught to look at life from the perspective of the first people. But then again, if my ancestry were not European, I maight see things differently.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2003 - 11:41 AM UTC
I viewed it as a great story of one man finding himself...Minorities tend to have this belief that anything like this is the white man being "condescending" I have caught this statement over and over from from my ex and her friends (she is of african descent). Well, no matter I just remember being absolutely enraptured with both movies when they came out and love watching them even today
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 07, 2003 - 11:44 PM UTC
Hi. Dances with Wolves was pretty good for what it was, but I like Last of the Mohicans better, as I'm more into the study of eastern Indian tribes, their culture, and religious beliefs, than the western groups. One of the things I liked about the latter movie was their extra attention to get things--clothing, guns, etc. as correct as possible for the time period involved. Even the hiring Mark Baker to help with the teaching on handling the flintlock muskets and rifles to the actors.

The only blaring excpetion was right at the start of the show when all the actors are around the table in the cabin talking and they referred to Joseph Brant leading a group of Indians down from the north, when Joseph Brant was actually involved in the Revolutionary War instead of the F. & I. era. But still not bad for Hollywood I suppose.

Too bad not more of these kinds of movies aren't being made where the truth of the Am. frontier is basically taught just a TAD bit differently that how the history books portray it to be. Such a shame. But the TRUTH is one of the first things sacrificed in the general history books, esp. concering the American Indian people.

But it seems we Euro-American don't like to be reminded too often that we aren't actually God's gift to the human race. Hurts morale and makes for bad publicity.

Take care, sgirty