TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
We Were Soldiers
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2002 - 09:12 PM UTC
I Finally had the chance to see the Movie We were Soldiers Once with Mel Gibson, WOW: it was as good as I had heard that it would be. Has any one here seen it also?? If so what did you think about it. It's hard to believe that those guys were allowed to be put into such a terrible delimna by those in the "UPPER ESCELON", But you have to admire Col Moores courage as well as deceisiveness, Which kept his troops working and fighting instead of breaking down and being wiped out. They came so close though. Up until the announcement of the movies release a few months ago. I had not really known about that particular Battle. The valley yes. But not the battle. A very awesome movie and tremendous story. It really gives you something to think about on this Memorial Day!!

Dagger-1
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2002 - 12:13 AM UTC
LTC Moore goes onto to be a lieutenant general. Quite a nice fellow and interesting character. The Ia Drang battle at LZ X-Ray was a heroic struggle that proved the value of air mobility in Vietnam. Magnificent accomplishment. The untold side of the battle is that of the subsequent the slaughter of the 2nd Battalion, 7th Cavalry at the battle of LZ Albany. This occurred a few days after the battle of LZ X-Ray. If someone every makes a film on that tragedy the souls of a great many Soldier would rest easier.
Garry Owen
DJ
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2002 - 12:32 AM UTC
Was that the same unit that LTC Moore was in charge of ?? If so where was he at?? Just from the way that M.G portraits LTC Moore, He seemed very much like a man that did care a great deal about his men and his unit.. His desicion making in that battle was extrodinary. & I was gald to see that he did make it out. Is LTC Moore still alive?? If so I take it that he's retired. How many were lost in the second battle that you mentioned ??

DAGGER-1 "When Science Fails, Brute Force Wins"
Spike9077
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 179 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2002 - 09:58 AM UTC
I've seen it too. It's a great movie, but some people don't think so. I don't know why. It's one of the best war movies I've ever seen. :-)

Mark
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2002 - 12:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've seen it too. It's a great movie, but some people don't think so. I don't know why. It's one of the best war movies I've ever seen. :-)

Mark

I second this.
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2002 - 01:36 PM UTC
A good share of the book is about Albany. I just skimmed that part... must have missed it in the movie or run out of time...
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2002 - 11:30 PM UTC
I read up on the battle of LZ- Albany and it appears from the version that I read that it was not a slaughter so much as a destructive battle, Casulties were exteremely high on both sides. But there were something like 60 or so U.S. Survivors. I found the article on the net while looking at the Movie site, Which also mentions LZ-Albany. Not to dispute you Anthony. But to me a slaughter is when no one walks away. And from my understanding it was a pretty near even battle. Just my opinion

DAGGER-1
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 778 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2002 - 11:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Was that the same unit that LTC Moore was in charge of ?? If so where was he at?? Just from the way that M.G portraits LTC Moore, He seemed very much like a man that did care a great deal about his men and his unit.. His desicion making in that battle was extrodinary. & I was gald to see that he did make it out. Is LTC Moore still alive?? If so I take it that he's retired. How many were lost in the second battle that you mentioned ??

DAGGER-1 "When Science Fails, Brute Force Wins"

No, Dagger, Moore commanded the First battalion. I'm halfway through the book...plan on seeing the movie this weekend at the dollar theatre.
Hal Moore is still living in retirement in Florida as far as I know.
BTW...went to see the Army Aviation Museum in Ft. Rucker Monday...a very nice collection. Wish they spread the aircraft around a little more so you could 360 them. Took alot of detail shots of Huey gunships (UH-1Bs) and Cayuses. Also, fittingly, spent some time in the Vietnam Memorial they have for Army aircrew lost in SEA.
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 12:24 AM UTC
Thanks Bob, I went to the 3rd Armored-Div Museum in Oklahoma last Summer. I THINK it was the 3rd AR/Div, Anyway it was pretty cool. It was also Quiet extensive. I think you will really like the Movie. As I mentioned I really enjoyed as well. And I too waited until it came to the Dollar Theatre. Only because I wanted to save money. Not because I thought it would be a terrible movie. I'm a M.G. and Sam Elliot fan anyway. Though I did not know that he was still married to Kathern Ross. Well I guess you learn something new every day.

DAGGER-1 When Science Fails, Brute Force Wins"
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 778 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 12:53 AM UTC
My two favorite Sam Elliott roles:
Wade Garrett in "Roadhouse"...toughest movie character ever
General John Buford in "Gettysburg"...saving the Union
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 01:12 AM UTC
Yep I saw the Gettysburg movie that was good How about the horror flick that he and his wife did together. Dont recall the movies name right now. It was done in the seventies. Setting is in England?? Are you familiar with the one that I am talking about?? Just can't remeber the movies name.

DAGGER-1
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 02:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I read up on the battle of LZ- Albany and it appears from the version that I read that it was not a slaughter so much as a destructive battle, Casulties were exteremely high on both sides. But there were something like 60 or so U.S. Survivors. I found the article on the net while looking at the Movie site, Which also mentions LZ-Albany. Not to dispute you Anthony. But to me a slaughter is when no one walks away. And from my understanding it was a pretty near even battle. Just my opinion

DAGGER-1

Dagger--my name is not Anthony. DJ, buddy. Regardless, the catastrophe of LZ Albany takes the form of a poorly led battalion sized element of Americans from the 2nd Battalion, 7th Cavalry (I estimate about 500-600 men). They are in literally a single file as they depart the LZ area and get systematically cut to pieces by an aggressive and ruthless North Vietnamese force. The 2/7 battalion commander was just not experienced enough to correctly deploy the battalion. I worked that area and can tell you the triple canopy jungle inhibits, but does not preclude maneuver. You can spread out a number of different ways and use your supporting arms to assist your scheme of maneuver and plan of fire. LZ Albany provides a perspective of contrasts from the action of 1/7. I served in 1/7 from 70-71 in Vietnam and we sure as little green apples applied what braver men than we learnt. Just a thought.
DJ
User_789
Visit this Community
Sweden
entire network: 476 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 03:58 AM UTC
Dagger-1

I didn't like the movie at all. I didn't especially like the pyro-effects... The explosions looked like fireworks!
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 702 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 07:55 AM UTC
"How about the horror flick that he and his wife did together. Dont recall the movies name right now. It was done in the seventies. Setting is in England?? Are you familiar with the one that I am talking about?? Just can't remeber the movies name."

I think that the movie was called "The Legacy," if we're on the same wavelength. It's the one where the wife has to go to the ancestral mansion to claim her inheritance with the other members of her family. They're each given a ring that they can't remove and they begin to get killed off. If not, then I just wasted another five minutes of my life. #:-)
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 07:19 PM UTC
I guess what stck in my mind the most from We Were Soldiers was what his family had to go through. I was 11 when this battle took place. We wee in Ft Carson and my dad was studying Vietnamese awaiting deployment (he was an LTC MD) He got lucky as he had contracted malaria while fighting in SAipan and then Okinawa. So he went to Korea we moved to Calif in a community with lots of other families with dads/husbands in 'Nam. It still brings back tears thinking about those kids I played with and the women my mom went shopping with and tried to survive with when the word came down about KIA or Mia. So seeing this in the movie tore me up pretty bad. I told my dad not to let my mom see this. It was a very hard time for all those over there and those sitting backhome praying
Coyote
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 23 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 06:52 AM UTC
There's also "The Expendables" by Leonard B. Scott.
It's about La Drang and some fictional soldiers that were there. I'm not an expert on Nam, but it was an enjoyable, if somewhat pulpy, book.
mrs_selrach
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 225 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 01:49 PM UTC
Sel and I just watched this movie last night. Pretty awesome. What a shame is is that so many of our Veterans are now so old and in nursing homes, or deceased, that there are very few who even remember that war anymore, the horror and atrocities, the nightmare, deaths and horrors of war. We've not seen a war like that since. And now, we're moving into Iraq, teenagers.. mostly.. and young adults.. who know nothing about what real war is like.

I don't think I have ever been moved by a war movie before, until yesterday.

relichunter00
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 61 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 01:50 AM UTC
Great Movie!! Realy proved the true spirit of the American Soldier.
Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 09:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Regardless, the catastrophe of LZ Albany takes the form of a poorly led battalion sized element of Americans from the 2nd Battalion, 7th Cavalry (I estimate about 500-600 men). They are in literally a single file as they depart the LZ area and get systematically cut to pieces by an aggressive and ruthless North Vietnamese force. The 2/7 battalion commander was just not experienced enough to correctly deploy the battalion. I worked that area and can tell you the triple canopy jungle inhibits, but does not preclude maneuver. You can spread out a number of different ways and use your supporting arms to assist your scheme of maneuver and plan of fire. LZ Albany provides a perspective of contrasts from the action of 1/7. I served in 1/7 from 70-71 in Vietnam and we sure as little green apples applied what braver men than we learnt. Just a thought.

My thoughts exactly DJ.I was going to say the same thing you did but you got to it before me.My dad also served with the 7th but in South Korea in '81.They were one hell of an outfit.

Quoted Text

I didn't like the movie at all. I didn't especially like the pyro-effects... The explosions looked like fireworks!

Yes they did Aragorn.I didnt like those parts either.Another part of the movie I thought was terrible was there F-100 scenes.Those were absolutly horrible.No way a Hun looks like the way it did.They could have at least got an actual,flying F-4 to do those scenes even though F-100s probably did drop the ball on them.That way they wouldnt do that cg stuff.