History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Haupsturmfuhrer Michel Wittmann: Why?
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 05:18 AM UTC
Howdy all,

Whenever I read or watch a TV programme about D-Day and the time and engagement's immediately following the landing. I almost always pay very close attention to the tank battles.
There were many gallant men on both sides of the conflict. And to be honest, certainly more experienced soldiers on the German side of the fence. Amoung these seasoned, and highly experienced soldiers was Haupsturmfuhrer Michel Wittmann.
That said, here is my question to you all.
On the morning of June 13th, 1944, Wittmann decided to send all the rest of the Tiger tanks under his command to advance on a northwest heading to the town of Caen and the surrounding area, while at the same time he decided to head in the completely opposite direction alone to the village of Villers Bocage and engage a much more numerous enemy. If memory serves (which it seldom does), he faced Sherman's, and Cromwell's, as well as Stuart tanks.
Now.....here comes the 'Why?'
Why would a highly decorated, incredibly admired, and very well seasoned Tank Commander like Wittmann make a decision like that !?!
I have my own internal opinions....but I would really lke to hear from those of you who have probably read more about it.

Thx in advance,

Tread.

BTW, try to imagine a modern day military officer in his place, making and commiting to a decision like that................
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 06:38 AM UTC
If you can get ahold of the Culver/Feist book "Tiger 1" (I got mine from Squadron) starting on page266 is a vivid account of the battle. Summary, he and his unit had been engaged in the vicinity for a bit. He went into the town looking about not really expecting to find much and then ran into a bunch of Shermans..sounds to me like he got surprised. It says he made a strategic retreat back to hill 213 when he discovered his error.
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 08:20 AM UTC
well, tigers were a very strong tank, some german tiger crews have accounted for over 200 hits on their tanks, so you'd think 1 tiger could take on a force of shermans and cromwells, if i were wittman, i'd have atleast 2 or 3 other tanks with me......