Militaria Forum
For discussions on a range of topics like reenacting, vehicle restoration, and collecting.
Purpose of Thermal Gun Sleeves on Tanks ?
mikado
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 329 Posts
KitMaker Network: 58 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2012 - 02:15 PM UTC
What is the purpose of the thermal gun sleeves ?
I noticed that a lot of Tanks have them. (As seen from the models I build)
Is it to keep the barrel at a certain temperature for accuracy ?

If so, why don't we see them on Howitzer or Artillery pieces ?
Phil_H
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 78 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2012 - 07:07 PM UTC
Not so much to keep the barrel at a certain temp, but to ensure that the temperature all around the barrel is consistent to reduce differential expansion.

A temperature differential (eg. caused by direct sunlight, wind or rain) between one side of the barrel and the other can cause a deflection (however minor) towards the cooler side, affecting accuracy.

I imagine that this is more an issue with tank guns which are (generally) "direct fire" where a minor deflection at the barrel may mean the difference between a hit or a miss to a target downrange.
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,980 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2012 - 06:11 PM UTC
I think there also may be a heat signature reduction benefit. Nothing like a hot barrel (after a few rounds) to show up in an IR scope.
mikado
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 329 Posts
KitMaker Network: 58 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2012 - 03:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Not so much to keep the barrel at a certain temp, but to ensure that the temperature all around the barrel is consistent to reduce differential expansion.

A temperature differential (eg. caused by direct sunlight, wind or rain) between one side of the barrel and the other can cause a deflection (however minor) towards the cooler side, affecting accuracy.

I imagine that this is more an issue with tank guns which are (generally) "direct fire" where a minor deflection at the barrel may mean the difference between a hit or a miss to a target downrange.

Phil, Bob, thanks for the explaination.
Good to understand why its been used.