_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Shops in Hong Kong
nheather
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 295 Posts
KitMaker Network: 90 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2012 - 10:07 PM UTC
Hi,

Travelling to Australia over Christmas with a stop over in Hong Kong on the way out.

Good opportunity to get some modelling bargains, but space and funds are limited so I need to plan what I want in advance.

I perception is that the choice of shops is going to be bewildering to the point of information overload.

So in the interests of preparing well in advance, can anyone recommend some good shops.

Also do any of the premium brands (DML, AFV-Club, Tamiya, etc.) attract better deals than others - for planning my wish list.

Cheers,

Nigel
tigger917
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 92 Posts
KitMaker Network: 31 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 - 08:41 AM UTC
HI there Nigel
Not sure if you have been before or not?? firstly Dragon and Hasegawa kits are definitely cheaper especially the latter. If you are after Dragon then the main outlet is UML and their biggest shop is just off Nathan road in Kowloon. Not sure of the opening times of UML , the times I have been are later in the afternoon as I am not sure the model shops open too early. I would also recommend going to the end of Dundas Street past the hospital on your right. There is a small shop on the end and another just around the corner which I think is Wa ling or something like that, they definitely have Trumpeter and Hobby boss which UML does not!!

There are several others tucked away in little alley ways and if memory serves me there is also a reasonable on on Tung Hoi street.
What you will soon realise is that there are loads of model shops in Mong Kok and they are tucked away just look around in some of the small malls and you will happen to find them.

By Far the best for mixture is Continental model supplies and this is easy to miss. i didn't find it on my first two trips to Hong Kong but did the last trip and went back several times over the week I was there. It is just off of Nathan Road if you are walking up from the penninsula Hotel end you will go past an intersection at the end of Kowloon park I think it is Austin Road keep going north but stay on the left side of the street Then Pak Hoi street goes off to the left and go into that for abut 25 meters and the shop is there , it is very easy to miss. The only down side to this shop is prices seem to be high but there are several unique products not found anywhere else in HK.

Hope this helps

Not sure what you build but I also got my Wing Nut kits sent to my hotel and carried them back in luggage. I would also suggest take as few clothes as possible and buy new there .

Enjoy the trip.
John
nheather
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 - 09:50 AM UTC
Hi,

Thanks for the info - really useful.

Now I need to start putting together a list. Tend to like British armour and the more unusual (but production stuff). So for example, a valentine, maybe a char b1, some italian stuff or possibly some russian lights.

But I'm not a big modeller and even now buy faster than I can build - so I will only treat myself to 2 or 3 that I would consider too expensive in the uk. How cheap is HK - so roughly if a DML kit is £40 in the UK, what would it be in HK.

Also, not considered clothes - what sort of stuff do they sell and is it really cheap?

As you can guess, it is my first trip.

Cheers,

Nigel
tigger917
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 - 08:20 PM UTC
HI Again Nigel

DML and Hasegawa stuff tends to be about 1/4 to 1/3 cheaper than UK.

As to clothes you can spend a little from the markets right through to a lot at the boutiques.

I would though recommend Girodano or Bossini both of which have outlets all over the place. quite cheap and good quality stuff. Some of the colours are a bit bright but non the less worth having a look at for all of the family.

If you are over 6 foot tall and of an XXL size then these shops will not have things that big as they are for the local shopper who is considerably smaller than 6 foot on average.

Hope this helps have fun and enjoy the experience. I would also recommend Afternoon tea at the Penninsula but make sure that you book in advance. The experience is worth it although not cheap . If you do book , on the day of the booking just go to the front of the Que. and tell the waiters you have a booking.

regards
John
nheather
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 - 09:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

DML and Hasegawa stuff tends to be about 1/4 to 1/3 cheaper than UK.

Do you mean that, or do you mean 1/4 to 1/3 the price.

So for example a DML costing £48 in the UK (to make the maths easy).

1/4 to 1/3 cheaper means £32 to £36 (which will mean I will pretty selective)

whereas

1/4 to 1/3 the price means £12 to £16 (which will mean taking an extra suitacase)

Cheers,

Nigel
tigger917
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2012 - 12:40 AM UTC
HI Nigel
the first was correct so the £32 to £36 quote is the right calculation.

regards
John
 _GOTOTOP