Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Astronaut Sally Ride Passes Away
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2012 - 02:11 AM UTC
Another aerospace pioneer has "gone west". Speaking for myself, I have been lulled into thinking of space flights casually due to the 100's of successful launches and recoverys; yet I know, as a shuttle pilot told me once in El Paso, that each launch is still a 50/50 suicide mission. Whether a pilot, or a scientist that has never touched a control column, Astronauts of all countries deserve our utmost respect.

Quoted Text

Astronaut Sally Ride Passes Away.
NBC Nightly News (7/23, story 6, 2:00, Williams) broadcasted on the death of astronaut Sally Ride from pancreatic cancer, describing her as "a trail blazer, an icon to school children of the generation" for being the first American woman in space. Reporter Rehema Ellis said, "Even after she left NASA she never gave up on her mission to inspire young people, especially young girls. Recently, during NBC's Education Nation summit Ride talked about encouraging women to study science and math." Reporter Robert Bazell added, "Sally Ride was an extraordinarily intelligent and dedicated person and you could say that about any astronaut. She had to be even more so to get into this exclusively men's club, mostly fighter pilots, very macho culture."
ABC World News (7/23, story 10, 2:05, Sawyer) noted reporter Linsey Davis said, "She went on to inspire women to consider careers in science. Her example alone encouraged women everywhere to shoot for the moon."
CBS Evening News (7/23, story 8, 1:40, Pelley) added reporter Seth Doane said, "Today President Obama called Sally Ride a national hero and a role model."
The AP (7/24) reports NASA Administrator Charles Bolden said Ride "broke barriers with grace and professionalism -- and literally changed the face of America's space program" and the US "has lost one of its finest leaders, teachers and explorers."
According to USA Today (7/24, Vergano), Ride took part in several reviews of the space program including the most recent one in 2009. Historian Roger Launius said, "She was on the short list of many administrations to head NASA, but she never pursued that track. She could have. She was always more interested in education."
The Los Angeles Times (7/24, Noland) "LA Now" blog reports NASA Deputy Administrator Lori Garver said, "Sally was a personal and professional role model to me and thousands of women around the world...Her spirit and determination will continue to be an inspiration for women everywhere."
The Houston Chronicle (7/24, Berger) reports Peggy Whitson, chief of the astronaut office, said, "The selection of the 1978 Astronaut Class that included Sally and several other women, had a huge impact on my dream to become an astronaut. ... The success of those women, with Sally paving the way, made my dream seem one step closer to becoming a reality."
The ABC News (7/24, Potter) website notes "members of Congress, fellow astronauts and close friends offered tributes" during the day.
AFP (7/24) reports other officials giving statements included presidential candidate Mitt Romney and Sen. Barbara Mikulski.
Also covering the story are Time (7/24, Kluger), the Wall Street Journal (7/24, A6, Miller, Subscription Publication), New York Times (7/24, A1, Grady, Subscription Publication), a separate Los Angeles Times (7/24, Soon-Shiong) "Science Now" blog post, USA Today (7/24, Winter) "On Deadline" blog, Florida Today (7/24, Halvorson), U-T San Diego (7/24, Robbins), Huntsville (AL) Times (7/24, Roop) "Space News" blog, New York Daily News (7/24, Hutchinson), New York Post (7/24, Li), Christian Science Monitor (7/24, O'Carroll), National Journal (7/24, Chamberlain, Subscription Publication), and other media sources.

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2012 - 02:01 PM UTC
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 3,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 209 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 - 06:38 AM UTC
"And I think it's gonna be a long long time
Till touch down brings me round again to find
I'm not the man they think I am at home
Oh no no no I'm a rocket man
Rocket man burning out his fuse up here alone"

Rest in peace
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 - 09:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

"And I think it's gonna be a long long time
Till touch down brings me round again to find
I'm not the man they think I am at home
Oh no no no I'm a rocket man
Rocket man burning out his fuse up here alone"

Rest in peace

I'm not sure that the meaning of that song had anything to do with space exploration.
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
entire network: 6,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 276 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2012 - 01:03 AM UTC
"Space exploration" is one way of describing what that song was talking about!

RIP

Hisham