_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
AEC-K AIR ERASER KIT
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2012 - 09:40 AM UTC
I hope someone can help me because I bought myself one of these AIR ERASER KIT's because I thought I had heard somewhere that someone was using sand through theirs and this is what I was hoping to do with mine because I planned on getting the rust off the bottom of my mowing deck then getting it smooth enough so I can paint it with that paint they use to protect the inside of their pickup beds with.

Please don't mention using a wire brush because I been disabled for over a 11 years and would be tickled to death if I was able to work. I made a deal with the only guy around here with a sand blaster to do my mowing deck and we agreed on the price over 7 years ago and I finally got tired on waiting on him, so if someone can help I sure would appreciate it.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2012 - 07:35 AM UTC
I believe the coarsest media the AEC will use is either 180 or 220 grit. That's rather fine for trying to remove rust. Plain old sand isn;t going to fit. Plus using sand in an abrasive blaster will lead to Silicosis.
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 06, 2012 - 07:26 AM UTC
Now this is what has me puzzled is what Micro Mark says in their magizine in big letters, here it is ( Mini Sandblast gun Removes Paint and Etches Wood, Metal, Glass
then again it has Paasche Air Eraser Mini Sandblast Gun Set includes: Sandblast Gun with steel tip and carbide insert,integral 2 oz. cup assembly with cover,4' air hose with moisture trap,6oz. of fast cutting aluminum oxide abrasive,hang-up hook,air mask,wrench and parts list.
Thank You for your time.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2012 - 06:48 AM UTC
It'll do all those things but in a small area. Commercial blasters typically use 30-60nesh (36-70 grit) abrasive. (That's about .032" on the large side. Vs a 180 grit (170 mesh) and .0045" in size.

it's all relative. I've used my air eraser to etch glass. it's slow vs using a coarser media, in a "full size" media blasting setup.
 _GOTOTOP