_GOTOBOTTOM
User Support
Having a problem with the site? Post it here.
cannot write a review?
Slimedog1
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 637 Posts
KitMaker Network: 566 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2012 - 04:26 PM UTC
Hi All.
I have recently been asked by stackpole books to do some reviews on their line of books.
When trying to write them somethings has always prevented me from doing so?
I am trying to write one on their latest publication Operation Barbarossa 1941 from their Photo series line.
Please Help
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 3,684 Posts
KitMaker Network: 411 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2012 - 04:55 PM UTC
What has you stumped Mike? I've seen a fair share of reviews and maybe I can help.

Book reviews are tough to do as you want to give enough info to let the reader know what to expect from a purchase yet not so much as to make that purchase unnecessary.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 - 12:21 AM UTC
I used to review books for Stackpole. I'd be glad to help out.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 - 01:49 AM UTC
Hi Mike,

As somebody who sometimes writes book reviews (I have a fresh stack on my desk at the moment!) I understand how daunting it can get! To help beat the dreaded "writer's block" I tend to stick to a basic outline or formula to make sure I cover all the bases, and return to it several times during the process rather than try to write the whole review in one go. And I do only one at a time to avoid getting mixed up with multiple files... (Nothing more embarrassing than putting info into the wrong review! Been there, done that.)

First up is an intro to the subject, for those who may not know much about it. This should be only a paragraph or two (at most), and if possible it should point out how the new book fills a gap or adds something new to the subject.

Then you need to list some basic details (title, author, publisher, number of pages, number of photos, does it have footnotes and a bibliography, etc) to tell the would-be customer what they're getting between the covers for their money. Personally I like to see reference books with at least a bibliography and index, and appreciate it if reviewers warn me about it before I buy. Some folks will list the chapter headings from the Table of Contents too.

With that boring stuff out of the way, now you can add a paragraph or three about the contents and how well you think the author did! Look for accuracy (is it based on well-known facts? and does he get them right?), good development of arguments (does he actually cover the subject as advertised on the cover?), and of course decent editing (the existence of spelling mistakes & bad grammer should be pointed out if they are frequent enough to interfere with reading). I also critique the photos regarding whether they are clear or grainy, big or tiny, etc because modellers want to know if they are useful as reference. A note about the quality of captions is good too.

Round it off with a conclusion assessing whether the book is any good, and who might benefit most from it. This can be tricky because you don't want to be unduly harsh just because it didn't offer what you personally were looking for; often a good history book may not be good for photos, while a nice picture-book may not explain the action, so each book will have target audiences to whom you can recommend it. (Unless it's just a stinker, in which case remember your only protection from libel suits is your ability to back up your printed opinions with examples from the book...) Fortunately my experience of Stackpole is mostly positive!

Have a look around some of the reviews here on Armorama to get a flavour.

Hope this helps,

Tom
Slimedog1
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 637 Posts
KitMaker Network: 566 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 - 01:58 PM UTC
Thanks All!!!
 _GOTOTOP