_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Modeller's Database
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 10:22 PM UTC
I have just realized the obvious. Many of the posts on the site, including most of my own, are requests for information as to who does what particular model in what nationality in whatever scale. Every day there are several of these posts..

O.K. the $64,000 question. How can we start creating a real,working database of what is available? Now, in my case, If I want data on British WW2, I just walk over to my bookcases and I pretty much know what is available (very little ) in kit form, where I can get it and more or less, how much its going to cost. However if I wake up one morning and decide that I'm going to build a Pziv, what do I do? Simple I start a new thread on the german forums and wait in the hope that there are enough people who know enough about the subject.

Basically what I am proposing/suggesting/begging for is some ideas to create a resource within a resource so a young modeller (for example) can come into the site and access the basics and then refine their search by using the forums on the specifics of a given theme.

I honestly don't know how practical this is, but I for one would welcome this resource. What do the rest of you think? Jim
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 12:02 AM UTC
The idea comes around in my mind from the time i enlisted Armorama. I believe the modellers database (which could be a really huge drawer ) should have two parts. 1st the real thing . I mean looking for an M113 . Should enter the database with the query "M113" and see a list of options f.e. history, types, usage,pictures, diagramms,battlefields..etc
and then a different section for the model f.e. which companies make it , what scales, reviews and pictures of the kit , of build kits different types and modellers, and stuff like that, articles about improving, weathering, scratchbuilding, correcting the specific model. This of course needs planning and some work, but will also be able to achieve in a volunteer basis. I mean everyone couls post the stuff that has an an organiser will arrange the posts to be in the right order and place. In this way i believe will be more useful to have a file for every vehicle or airplane (i dont care about em hehehehehe) than to go to the search engine and find all the topics sit down and read them and then decide which is usefull and all this. I dont know if the "high above heads" will read this and find it a good idea but we could all suggest and help to make the "ARMORAMA DATABASE" or "MODELLER's DATABASE" with much love to our hobbie and to our fellow modellers. I really hope that this idea will find other people interested and work to make it powerfull and usefull, and....fulll fulll of info !!!
Greetings from rainy Greece
Costas
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 12:20 AM UTC
Ok - here's the 'short answer' - www.google.com

The draw back of a 'whats available' database is maintenance. Kits are constantly being offered, discontinued, companies sold and re-packaged, etc.

Don't get me wrong, the idea is a sold one. With Military Hobbies (see above), Rolls, GreatModels etc having thier own databases search-able the major thrust of this project is done.

sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 01:05 AM UTC
HI. Sounds like a nice idea, but isn't the computer, along with ALL the various web sites out there concerning either a specific model(s), or the history of a certain vehicle or vehicle type the data base in itself? With the modeling industry alone moving at such a fast pace now in designing, manufacturing, distributing, and re-distributing, this would, just in itself, keep a person(s) totally committed just to staying up with what's going on in this field, without allowing any time to do what they probably got into this hobby for in the first place. To build and have something physical to show for their efforts, even if it's only to themselves.

To me, the search for ideas and information on this and several other modeling sites on the web is half the fun of building a model anymore. Thre is so many ideas and different points of view that it sometimes litterally boggles the mind just to try to read and understand it all. And basically there is no ALL to it anymore anyway.

And with all the questions asked here and there on the various sites, this, in itelf, helps to 'trigger' certain things in many of our memories that we may have read or seen some place or other in one of the books we have have collected down through the years. I know it has for me.

Take care, sgirty
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 01:10 AM UTC
I must admit, I like the idea of interacting with other modellers here on Armorama, and it was one of the things that crossed my mind when I started the thread. I suppose it becomes self-defeating really, starting a thread about another thread ad-infinitum #:-) kinda makes your head spin after a while.

It was only really a discussion thread anyway but perhaps there are some practical applications...Jim
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 01:14 AM UTC
Good point jimbrae
This may be a launching point for a Resources item. Jim has had discussions on getting that aspect of Armorama going and this can be tossed into the mix......?
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 01:20 AM UTC
Scott, that's what started me off. The problem is that we are getting swamped with info. and here on Armorama the influx of new info. is a tidal wave. I think you're right, this is the point to start..by thinking small and going from there...Jim
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 01:27 AM UTC
Jimbrae, your idea is fine but you can start your own personalized Armorama database. What I've done is to create two items, a favorites directory on MSN of threads that I've found helpful, and a folder of "hard" copies of them on my computer. If I want to find out how to paint tires, for example, I might do a search here for painting tires. I then save as a favorite any threads I've found particularly helpful. I also save as HTML the thread onto my PC. That way I have access to it while online, at work, or off line at home. This works for me.
 _GOTOTOP