_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
How Do I Apply CA Glue?
WhiteCloud
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 23 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2012 - 01:18 AM UTC
I have been using 5-min epoxy to attach photo etch parts, because i have not been able to apply CA well.

How do you guys apply CA glue accurately? any tools, tricks, methods or advice would be appreciated!

also what type of CA glue do you recommend using?

Thanks in advance!
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 6,965 Posts
KitMaker Network: 609 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2012 - 01:45 AM UTC
It depends on what you want to attach. For really small parts use a tool to transfer a tiny drop. A broken needle or a piece of stretched sprue works quite well.

For larger parts you can apply drops right out of the bottle. You can get applicator tips that allow you to place small drops where you want them.

Which type to use depends on what you want it to do. Regular glue is best for attaching parts and gap-filling glue is best for smoothing out seam lines that shouldn't be there. In each case, you should use accelerator to cure the glue quickly. That way there's less risk of becomming attached to your work.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2012 - 04:40 PM UTC
I use toothpicks to apply CA glue, and I always use the medium viscosity (5-15 second set) glue so I have a few seconds to position the part. One trick I use that saves me a lot of pain is to apply the part to the CA instead of the CA to the part. I put two drops of CA on a bottle cap, hold the PE part with tweezers, lightly touch the part to the CA drop, and put it on the model. One smooth action and no stray glue anywhere.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2012 - 09:49 PM UTC
I squeeze a drop onto an upside down Tamiya paint jar(this keeps me from putting my hand in it and from knocking parts into it). I did use toothpicks to apply it, but then read about using a piece of wire. I happen to have quite a lot of music wire, so that became my applicator. You can burn off the left over paint, when you are done using it. For the brand of glue, I use bsi-inc. I'm not sure of the actual brand name, but it can be seen and purchased here: www.bsi-inc.com . Remember to apply as little as is necessary. Applying thin and xtra thin glue is difficult using this method and may be applied directly from the bottle with very gentle squeezing.
 _GOTOTOP